Pic & Map of my setup---suggestions please

NoName1

Ok so I have some free time at work today and plan to hunt tonite. I'll be getting up before work and hitting this spot around 4 am with thermal and night vision. The field itself is old grass and plowed up cotton, with 1000s of acres of swamp/woods behind it. The red dot is where I have to park, the blue dot is my set up and the yellow dot is the call. It should be a NE wind about 2-3 mph, shown by the purple arrow. My reasoning for the set up is because the field rolls down to the right, so that spot gives me the best visibility. I will be able to see down the powerline to the right in case they use that to circle downwind of the call. I will be able to see to the edge of the powerline on the left side, but not down it because it crests and rolls back downhill. My hope is to watch that direction as a crosswind, which puts them downwind of the call itself but not me and would make them have to come out of the cover to see over the crest down to where the call is or get close to it. *Edit...the pink line is my boundary line, set up has to be inside that and not shooting toward the houses.

If someone has time to look this over and let me know if I'm even in the ballpark for setting this spot up it would be great. If I have it totally azz backwards don't be afraid to let me know or give other ideas.

40acrefield_Page_2-1.jpg

Last edited:
It will depend on wind. I would place my call closer to the edges and get them to come to the edges to take a look. Gives you more chances and more options depending on your wind. Not a bad theory about the power lines though, they will travel along them.

Got rained out...gonna give it a shot again early tomorrow morning. I was hoping this would generate more conversation about setting up, given the visual and all...not just for me but for other new people reading through the forum.

Exactly what I would do except the call would be a little closer to me. Cross wind on my right cheek, as I shoot right handed, facing where I think the coyotes will come from and circle downwind of the caller while shooting in a safe direction.

Originally Posted By: cmateraExactly what I would do except the call would be a little closer to me. Cross wind on my right cheek, as I shoot right handed, facing where I think the coyotes will come from and circle downwind of the caller while shooting in a safe direction.

That's kind of what I ended up doing when it came down to it. Even though he didn't come out on the powerline it was still a successful set...pics and story: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...952#Post2702952

Back