Southern Utah compatriots

Heretic

Folks, I've finally convinced the wife to go camping! We're thinking of the Panguitch area and after a few phone calls, the nice folks the Dixie National Forest supervisor's office have given me some really useful info.

I'd like to try my luck at coyote hunting while there. I understand that no license is required and was told there is still the $25/ears "bounty" on coyotes. My motivation is not the money but the hunting as here, the outlying areas of Las Vegas are overhunted.

I was thinking of bringing my 22 Mag and my 17 HH. What areas do you folks recommend for me to try my luck? We'll only be there two nights and hunting only one night. Is it legal to spot light? If someone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful as right now I'm finding a lot of "depends on the county" type answers.

Thank you all in advance!

Called the Sheriff's office in Garfield County (Panguitch area). Night hunting with spotlight permitted with a permit. $20 at Sheriff's office.

Called the Sheriff's office in Iron County. No night hunting permitted in any part of the county.

Thanks for the advise, we don't rely on the sheriff's offices down here so it didn't occur to me to ask. In NV the NDOW folks have the info.

Like he said, the bounty is 50 bucks and just fyi the ears must be attached. Second, you have to take it to a check in location which are only hosted about once a month. I live in Utah, pretty great hunting, so good luck and have fun! Here's the link to all things Utah coyote related. http://wildlife.utah.gov/component/content/article/118-hunting/big-game/762-new-predator-laws.html
I would suggest filling out the online training before you come and make sure you have everything ready.

Back