In the heat of the night....

5spd

Ended in about a 2 min set in a spot on a ranch I was dinking around on building a winter blind out of wood for the upcoming year. I was at it for 2 hours banging wood, cutting, running the weed whacker, then as it got black I stopped, cleaned up watered down & relax in the cool breeze as I was burning up w/sweat then decided to go calling about 600 yards from this place as my pal was supposed to be there at 10pm for night calling.
I set up my shockwave at 50 steps just a tad up wind & put on antelope fawn distress at a medium volume (no bambi decoy when calling at night) and was thermal scanning sitting at a fence line and not expecting anything overall and when I look at the call I see a dang ol coyote circling it. Man where did he come from out of the night, the area I was at is above a 800 yard wide creek bottom and a lot of fingers that feed up into the pastures.
I drop the thermal and flick my D740 NV scope on and pick it up ready to drop a round and it wont stop circling, (I left the call going as it was) then he gets on the backside and stops in line w/the call. I say to myself move a tad to ether side will you as I aint a going to run a round through the call coyote or not...:), well it does and I drop it w/my MMR AR15, w/55g vmax.
That's it, all over before it started and the kind of coyote calling that keeps me at it on the ranches I call on.
It was a nice heavy male at about 30lbs in its scruffy summer coat, good set of teeth to match...yea and I can see fleas all over it.

About 4 hrs prior to that I stopped to day call on state land in a spot I drive by every week thinking there are dogs in that area as its always full of cattle.
I set up about 300 yds off the dirt road, start calling and about 14 min into the set I see a coyote coming up the gully from the cattle below and know he can see ol bambi shaking and bawling the antelope fawn cry. The breeze is into my face...Ive got him now...so I thought.
As Im holding my 6x45 Savage build on it, it quick trots towards it and as my finger is putting pressure on the trigger it flat out spins and I about jump out of my pants as I got one right behind me that blows it all to nuts as it backdoors me and barks louder than a train whistle w/its warning barking.
Dang coyotes making me jump start like that and I laugh at myself. Id bet it did that just so it can tell its pals I made ol 5spd jump like a monkey. The grasses are 2-3 feet tall and I was below a hill crest, it could of been at my neck and barked in my ear just for kicks. They both hit splitsville yapping for 5 min at me. They were 2 seperate dogs and the one behind me had me dead to rights in the scent of me.

thumbup1.gif

Back