DC 50

Norcalkyle

Just wanted to give anyone interested in buying a DC 50 my input. I picked one up for my dog that goes out the furthest as sometimes in the timber my DC 40 would lose signal for a couple of minutes.

Came charged and took the dog out a couple of weeks ago to get in shape for deer season, and he took a deer through a big timber canyon. He got out to about 650 yards all of the time in very thick canopy and I never lost track. I know I would have lost track with the DC 40.

Pulled the collar off the charger last Saturday for another day of running and it showed up on my Astro as low battery. Put it back on the charger and couldn't get it to start charging. Called Garmin yesterday and they had me do a master reset which didn't do anything.

Collar is going back today for a fix or replacement, as it is toast as of now. The time I used it I would say it is better at not losing signal, fitting the dog and not slipping around and the battery features and barking indicator do work.

I will update when I get the replacement if anything else pops up so people have an idea if they are worth the extra $30.00.

kyle I run all 40s but got a 50 about amonth ago and love mine, sure lasts longer on the battery and I don't lose it near as often.

We had two dogs out 750 yds in heavy woods this past weekend with one dc40 and one dc50. My dc40 lost signal twice for a short period. My buddies dc50 never dropped, and when he said his bark indicator was going off we knew they had a pig bayed and to get moving. My two longer range dogs will have dc50s by the time we start up next year.

So far everything I have seen with it I like. I am interested to hear what Garmin says the problem was, but I will say that the service so far has been top notch. The service rep on the phone did a great job getting me taken care of quickly, as I need the collar to be functioning in 3 weeks.

I will give it a good test August - October with dogs running DC40s and DC50s at the same time and in the same terrain... so I will check back in as well if anything else pops up.

Just got a collar back in the mail yesterday. They sent me a brand new one, and apparently moisture got in the housing and caused a system short. I think the first unit was defective and it doesn't sound like there is any reason to think it is inherent.

Garmin's customer service was excellent. The rep that I spoke to at Garmin seemed to really understand the needs of a hunter and how important these collars can be, so he was very good at fixing the problem very quickly.

Back