Am I over thinking this?

clubstrump

I know when it very cold the need for additional food make the coyotes more active because of the need to consume more calories.

But when its above normal temps wouldn't the sound of an easy meal be attractive from the standpoint of them conserving energy during the heat. My calling times would be early AM or dusk.

Or am I over thinking again?

Originally Posted By: clubstrumpI know when it very cold the need for additional food make the coyotes more active because of the need to consume more calories.

But when its above normal temps wouldn't the sound of an easy meal be attractive from the standpoint of them conserving energy during the heat. My calling times would be early AM or dusk.

Or am I over thinking again?

Something to take into account, if hunting in these warmer times, is that food sources are very abundant.
A lot of people forget that coyotes are techniquely [sp] omnivores, not carnivores.
Coyotes will eat fruits; berries; insects; ect.
So...as has been stated in many other threads over the years...change up your sounds. Instead of prey sounds, maybe try sounds that will spark curiosity; or pup whines, or distress.

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54Coyotes will eat fruits; berries; insects; ect.
Yup that why I use fruit & ripe berry sounds......:p

Early morn & late PMs are good calling times when the temps are up, but they are still out dinking around all day if not laying under shade someplace.

Yep... Like stated above "warmer times...food sources are very abundant"... This time of year I use a lot more vocals.. Coyotes don't just foolishly howl at the moon... Their vocalizations serve several functions... The one I like to play on the most is their territorial instincts... I try to sound like a small, lost, insecure yet excited coyote... Instead of trying to ring the dinner bell, I try to piss them off thinking I am another dog on their territory...

Actually maybe they do just foolishly howl at the moon and laugh at the hunters they out smarted that day...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Yep... Like stated above "warmer times...food sources are very abundant"... This time of year I use a lot more vocals.. , I try to piss them off thinking I am another dog on their territory...

This is the ticket.
When its hot and food and water are good , the only way to call.
AND!
When every hunter in the county Is trying to talk rabbit to them . We use coyote sounds all year on public land all year.

They are less interested in coming to distress calls either because of the abundance of food or the reduced caloric intake requirement. Throw pup distress at them. If that doesn't work go with something that they don't hear often, like woodpecker. Set ups are also crucial. They will lay up in the heat of the day so you have to get a bit closer to them. But they will come to the call.

Back