Ar suggestions

possum#1

What brand or specific AR would you guys suggest?I am looking for one that will be accurate for target and predator hunting.I am looking for one with a good trigger and accessories so I do not have to change a lot of stuff.I have never owned one but have shot a couple.I am looking at a few in the 600 to 700 hundred range.Any input or suggestions would be great.Here are 3 I am considering.
Olympic K16
Smith & Wesson MP
DPMS

The ones listed will probably have crap triggers but that is a easy upgrade. Pick one in the configuration you want and go for it. In your price range most guns will be base configurations which isnt bad but lack all the bells and whistles. I would pick the DPMS or the smith and upgrade the trigger. Barrel, ammo and trigger are the most important in that order as far as im concerned. Soon you will have a closet full.

Build it from scratch, that way you can control every aspect of it.

Exactly what are you wanting in way of furniture, sights, scope, barrel length and most importantly, looks.

If it is your first, you will not like something at some point and you will change it.

I suggest you look at Palmetto State Amory, they will come in under your budget and have a huge variety of upper configurations along with a wide variety of lowers to choose from.

I have an Armalite M15A4 with a 24" stainless barrel. Hind sight, probably don't need that long a barrel as it makes it a little heavy. It has been a tack driver right out of the box. I load 69 grain Noslers in it and it's a 10 round one hole group at 100 yards. A little more money than the ones you listed, but the end results have been spectacular!

I would choose my bullet of choice and make sure the barrel twist works for it. Many are 1:9 which is great for varmint rounds but if you like shooting heavies 69-77 then 1:8 or even 1:7.

A free float forend will help alot. I prefer lighter guns myself but bull barrels are very accurate too.

Palmetto is offering many a great deal currently in that price range.
Blemished upper less BCG $369

Lower complete $159

BCG $89

That is $617 plus shipping and transfer fees. It would serve you well.

Originally Posted By: possum#1Any suggestions on a book that shows how to assemble a AR?

You Tube, Brownells and Midway all have tutorials

gonna second the build it your self idea but going to add go some were we folks are shooting them and handle as many as you can to get a FIRM idea of what you want
this will save you a bunch on buy then try side of a build
trigger first then barrel IMO

Possum I agree in regards to at least building your lower yourself for a few reasons. It only requires simple tools and you'll save money because you won't be paying the 11% excise tax rolled into a rifle from a manufacturer.

The upper does require special tools and some various tricks to ring out all the possible accuracy out of it as well getting the gas system properly aligned and checking headspace etc. Only way to change headspace ona AR is swap bolt after bolt until it's right. In reality if all parts are within spec headspace should be fine no matter unless you end up on the extreme end of tolerance and get tolerance stacking which is rare. If you're uncomfortable building an upper but know exactly what you want I can quote you on a custom upper. There is nothing worse than buying a factory upper only to have to spend more money swapping out parts after to get what you want so why not just start there?

What caliber were you thinking? I offer .223 Wylde chambers and 6.8 chambers (my personal preference)

For just a few dollars more, you might check into the Diamondback DB15B (5.56/.223), or the Diamondback DB15B300 (.300 Blackout).

I owned a DB15B for a much-too-short of a time. Loved most everything about it, and would buy another.
{Had to part with it, due to needing finances for medical bills.}

Granted, it WAS my first AR. So obviously, I'm no expert by any means.

Back