Anyone got a Ruger American?

HunterTanner

Looking at getting my first predator gun and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this gun. I've read positive and negative reviews, wondering what you guys think. Best gun for the money? Suggestions? Scope to top it with?
Thanks guys,
HunterTanner

dont have one but have handled and shot them. if i was in need for a starter pred gun i think a american might be one i for sure considered.

3-9x40 scope in one of the well known brands would work good for you.

I just bought the American .223. It seemed like the price was too good to pass. It has some nice features like crowned target barrel, steel bedded action, weaver style 2 pc. mounts, and a recoil pad.

It has some bad features like flimsy stock, cheap looking mill marks on receiver, lack of a decent feeder ramp to feed bullets into the barrel from magazine, crappy rotary magazine that won't feed the last cartridge EVER. And Ive never encountered this before, but the when I was wiping down the quart of gun oil leaking from every orifice I noticed the barrel almost seemed "not round" as in it had a wavy feel to it from the action down to the crown. The barrel has two small spots that didn't get fully blued.

Overall opinion is this .223 American would make a great first rifle, plinker or decent hunting rig but if you are looking for consistent MOA accuracy look elsewhere.

I topped mine with the Vortex Diamondback 4-14x40 cuz it was on sale. I guess I got what I paid for as I am not too pleased with the scope either.

My hunting partner and his fiancé have been running the American's in 243. Sure they don't have the fancy stuff like a steel mag or a great stock. That is how they keep them cheap. Both of their rifle shoot 1" or better all day long.

I just bought the predator which is almost the same gun. The difference between them is the predator has a 1 piece scope base and the barrel is tapered and threaded for suppressors. I have 2,000.00 guns that are sitting in the safe because this predator is really great! I am running the 210 smk's to be nice and quiet with the suppressors. Mine is shooting 1/2 easy. The trigger is cranked down to 3 lbs on mine.

I would look at the predator if I was you.

I have one in 22-250 and 243. They shoot and function great. The problems Theshedhunter is talking about is the only problems I have heard from anybody.

Here is one that fell the other night to the predator!

This one is 308 and I have not had any problems with all rounds feeding. Maybe they fixed the mag issue you guys are talking about in the new predator.

Last edited:
I have had no problems yet with my 22-250 although I haven't made it threw hundreds of rounds, i quit reloading a few years ago In lieu of spending more time doing other things and shooting less, didn't like WWB 45 gr or Rem Accutip 50 gr or Rem 55 gr PSP but thw Winchester Varmint X 55 gr shot a .708 group at 100 meters center to center, good enough for factory ammo

The American is a reasonable rifle for the price. BUT, I'd prefer to find a gently used Ruger MKII instead if you can. Better stock and extremely reliable.

I've handled and shot one that my cousin had in .308. In general it was decent, but I couldn't get over the crappy stock. I mean you can't shoot without a stock, so it may as well be a good one.

Just shot my American Predator in for the first time..Blown away how accurate it is....cant go wrong with one..

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyI think I REALLY want one of the compact stainless in .243.

Chupa

Take a SERIOUS look at the Predator if you haven't already. Heavier barrel but only .5 pounds heavier overall.

Back