Two way radios for hunting

bleas

Anyone that uses two way radios to communicate while coyote hunting, could you tell me what mic you find to be the best for whispering? I have some push to talks that came with the two ways but they have a ton of background noise. Want to get something that is easily operated and will pick up a whisper.

Just curious, but what are you going to use the radio's for? Why?

I usually just sit close enough to hear my partner lip squeek when they spot something?

When changing sounds on the call, i pause for a few seconds to see if my buddy signals he see's something.

I am sure there are a bunch of people that use radios..
But, i would ask that you think about something for a minute, before you do so.

Most predator hunting goes so fast that it's a kind of scramble and using radios' indicate that you are far enough apart that you can't just talk to each other.

This is something that I would say makes things a bit more complicated.

My worry is that you make sure that you have clearly discussed with your partner that you both don't move at all once you sit down. If you sit and then the other guy moves, you may not be sure where he is. Or he shoots something and then gets up and runs out to a bush to get the coyote and is looking for it and then, someone spots him and accidentally shoots him. (this happened to someone i knew a couple of years ago)

Generally if i hunt with Military buddies, and when i drop a trailer, I put them in a spot, and we agree on an area of responsibility and they stay standing until i get to my spot and we sit at the same time. I know where they are, and they know the same.. I also put a stick out where he is, so that if in the moment a coyote shows up between us, i know that i can't point over that stick.

Hunting seperate can be done, it's just a lot more tricky and no coyote is worth getting hurt over.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI am sure there are a bunch of people that use radios..
But, i would ask that you think about something for a minute, before you do so.

Most predator hunting goes so fast that it's a kind of scramble and using radios' indicate that you are far enough apart that you can't just talk to each other.

This is something that I would say makes things a bit more complicated.

My worry is that you make sure that you have clearly discussed with your partner that you both don't move at all once you sit down. If you sit and then the other guy moves, you may not be sure where he is. Or he shoots something and then gets up and runs out to a bush to get the coyote and is looking for it and then, someone spots him and accidentally shoots him. (this happened to someone i knew a couple of years ago)

Generally if i hunt with Military buddies, and when i drop a trailer, I put them in a spot, and we agree on an area of responsibility and they stay standing until i get to my spot and we sit at the same time. I know where they are, and they know the same.. I also put a stick out where he is, so that if in the moment a coyote shows up between us, i know that i can't point over that stick.

Hunting seperate can be done, it's just a lot more tricky and no coyote is worth getting hurt over.

Worth repeating!

Regards,
hm

Ok, I've been doing this for 9 years and don't need lectured on safety. You guys hunt in Arizona during the daytime Im sure. I live in Indiana, I hunt at night and we have fence rows and sometimes they are thick. If I hunt on one side and partner hunts on the other, we cant see or hear eachother with the caller screaming. Im going to ask this again, what mics do you guys that use them have success with?

If you've been doing this for 9 years then you don't really need anybody's help on anything now do you? Even though you make us want to sooo much.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: moochy28Make sure you check your local laws on the use of radios for hunting.

he dont need lectured on laws either.
smile.gif

We use the throat mics.. They are push to talk but with the ear bud they work out pretty good. We have adapted the use of radios setting 50 yards or more apart and this year we are adding a second remote so if one sees a cat or other animal he can change to what every sound he needs to bring the critter in closer. We know what the other guy is doing or wants to do on stands.. This setup has worked to our advantage in deep canyons the last couple of years...

Now we're talken ! And hearing too...
I'm more then a bit deaf, well very hard of hearing anyway. We use two ways ALL the time calling, can't use'm for game. Our two ways plug in to our electronic shooting muffs and we have voice activated mikes on the stalk of out guns or hooked to the cuff of out jacket or gloves. We will hunt a 1/4 a mile apart some times to cover a LOT of ground. A simple heads up is WELL worth the extra effort the 2ways cost. We always check with each other before we call a set and getup. This is very effective with two to four people scattered across the prairie.
Plus it's way easer to hid only one person in an area when your hunting short grass, cut alfalfa or stubble.

Originally Posted By: bleasOk, I've been doing this for 9 years and don't need lectured on safety. You guys hunt in Arizona during the daytime Im sure. I live in Indiana, I hunt at night and we have fence rows and sometimes they are thick. If I hunt on one side and partner hunts on the other, we cant see or hear eachother with the caller screaming. Im going to ask this again, what mics do you guys that use them have success with?

Please don't miss interpret my comments as saying you don't know what you are doing. I am sure you have a good handle on it.

There are others that read your post and may not be as experienced as you are, and might get themselves into trouble if they don't think about it prior to doing it.

The Guy in the story was a top level, Big Contest Hunter, and he was out with his family and accidents happen, and I don't want anyone to go through what they did.

There are a lot of police stores online that sell everything, including the throught activated mic's they work really well and like most things you can buy a cheap call, but don't expect Foxpro results from a $45 pocket call. These mic's are going to be the same thing. I usually just use lip squeek, or a Coaxer to alert my partner when we are apart. I like using it because it not only allows my partner to know what's going on from my spot, but it doesn't scare off anything coming in, and i don't have my ears plugged with something.. There are enough times a year that i hear the coyotes coming before i see them, especially in rough country.

Good luck, i hope you find something that works for you.

We are always safe when we are out hunting. We know the location of eachother when hunting but communication is sometimes hard when we are apart. I just want to know what brand of mic are the best to be able to whisper into and not hear a bunch of background noise. Something that I don't have to fiddle with while im out there and not have trouble with someone hearing what the other person is saying. I wear some of the Howard Leight Impact Sport ear muffs that have the 3.5mm input for an MP3 player. What I would like to do is plug in my two way radios to the muffs but don't know how to incorporate a mic into it. Any ideas on that one?

Last edited:
Any head set will work. Midland make several. I cut the ear buds off and put on a "Jack" that fits my Howard Leight Impact Sport muff port. And use the "Boom" mic, I attach it with an alligator clip to the sleeve of my jacket. There voice activated you just start to talk... I do blow in to it to jet it started before I speak.

Jetman that's exactly what I was needing the answer for. I want to attach it to the Howard Leight impact sport, I just want to make sure I get a good mic to go with it.

never tried the radios for calling. we push coyotes in small sections. radios are a major deal up here. no way you could communicate without em when you're a half mile or more away from the next guy. never tried the head sets but like I said, usually not whispering either.

I've used Garmin Rhino's before its really nice it allows you to see where your partner is so you can split up and cover more ground with out worrying about shooting one another...

The radios work great when you have a partner for your calling. I bought a pair of the GE radios for $60 back in the 80’s. They worked great with our calling in the rolling pasture ground in western South Dakota. I did most of the calling when I had a partner and normally he would cover the blind spots downwind with our calling stands. Many times he would spot the coyotes before I did and he normally glassed the areas while I was calling. With some calling stands in rough country, he often shot the incoming coyote that I had not even seen. Back in those early days, coyotes were bringing $60-100, hence it didn’t take long to cover the cost of your radios.

Back