Any reason NOT to put together a 17-223?

Originally Posted By: 6724thinking of a 17-223 upper for fox and cats, and coyotes as well. is there any reason NOT to create a 17-223?

I think for cats and fox they are GTG but I just have a gut level feeling they might not have the gas for a big dog hit marginally.

They are fun to shoot on PD's though.

Greg

17-223 is great IF you are a handloader. If you are not a handloader and want off the shelf ammunition go with the 17 Remington. The ammunition is expensive, but available. GL is right, it works GREAT for foxes and bobcats, VERY fur friendly. It will put down a coyote but shot placement is far more important with calibers like the 17 and 204, they are just not as forgiving. So if you are not a great shot and do not want to devote the range time to learn, go with a different caliber.

The only problem I see with any of the 17's right now is bullet availability. While there are plenty of good PD shooting type bullets around the bullets that are effective for coyotes are pretty scarce.
I have not had any trouble killing coyotes with good bullets.

David what is a good bullet in your eyes? I just picked up a 17 my first and I got 15 boxes of ammo with it.

Originally Posted By: venaticThe only problm I see with any of the 17's right now is bullet availability. While there are plenty of good PD shooting type bullets around the bullets that are effective for coyotes are pretty scarce.
I have not had any trouble killing coyotes with good bullets.

You guys need to call Todd Kindler at the Woodchuck Den. He still has a few of the Bergers 25g left. He also has someone making 20, 25, 27, 30, 35 grainers called Golds using the Berger J4 jackets.

so other than the usual 'that caliber sucks' reason, there is no reason as far as functionality in the AR15?

it is intended for use on fox, bobcat, and sometimes coyotes. not a primary coyote gun. i am not concerned what range it has for use on coyotes, or wind drift, or any of that. when that is my concern i will be using something else.

i am not looking to buy a complete gun. an upper will suffice.

Originally Posted By: 6724so other than the usual 'that caliber sucks' reason, there is no reason as far as functionality in the AR15?

it is intended for use on fox, bobcat, and sometimes coyotes. not a primary coyote gun. i am not concerned what range it has for use on coyotes, or wind drift, or any of that. when that is my concern i will be using something else.

i am not looking to buy a complete gun. an upper will suffice.

They will run fine in an AR. I always recommend an adjustable gas block on any odd caliber on the platform but then that is my belt/suspenders mind set kicking in.

Greg

Back