Project 7.62

BLACKSHEEP

I'm looking to start another project. A 7.62 AR. I have started looking around and reading articles. Here are some of the rifles that are being considered:

Ruger SR762
DPMS(gen 2) Recon
CMMG MK3
Rock River

Any input would be appreciated. 18" barrel maximum and easily upgradable.

Thanks,

blacksheep

I haven't handled the CMMG, but have the other 3. RRA would be out simply because they are so huge. Action is longer than even the old dpms. Ruger and G2 dpms are both nice, but my money would go to dpms. Really light, nice handling rifles, pretty much like an ar15. Ruger would get the nod only if you had to have a piston driven set-up.

I was looking hard into the S&W M&P10. Apparently, there are a lot of reliability issues. The people on the S&W forums say the gun is undergassed.

The new DPMS G2s seem to be the best option under $2K. Except, the G2 has problems locking back on Magpul mags, cratering primers, and has problems with foreign 7.62 ammo.

.308 ARs are not .223 AR15s. One poster put it this way:

Buy once, cry once.

I wouldn't go near the Ruger if accuracy is a consideration. One of my buddies had an SR556 and it wouldn't hold a 4" group at 100 yards. His Mini 14 is more accurate.

I hear everyone is pleased with DPMS and that is what I would buy. I am looking at one of those but now I am thinking about buying a stripped on so I can build exactly what I want. Also I am curious about the quality of Stag? Thanks for any info and opinions.

I have 9 Stag AR15s. They are awesome. Never a malfunction. I don't think they make a .308 AR.

Dang. When a Mini-14 beats you in the accuracy department, you really suck.

I agree with Chalky47. The DPMS does look the most promising. It is still not proven though.

My recent research into the world of .308 ARs leaves me extremely hesitant to dive in.

I would be horrified to spend $3K+ (gun, ammo, mags, ect...) only to be forced to troubleshoot a gun that is less than reliable. I have read horror stories for just about every manufacturer. Last time I was at my local gun store, there was a guy there trying to figure out why his .308 Larue wouldn't work.

Risk of failure seems pretty high compared to .223 AR15s. My bolt actions are starting to look better and better.

Last edited:

I looked around last fall for a LR-308. I bought a DPMS. I am very happy with my rifle. So, I bought an LR-243 DPMS upper, also.

I have a SR 556 Ruger and it shoots an inch or better, with factory trigger. I'd be more than comfortable with the SR762. Also, if you haven't treated yourself to a piston driven AR, you're missing out. So smooth and easy to clean. Give that Ruger a second look.

I looked around the internet extensively, and decided it was
CHEAPER to buy a DPMS LR-308 Oracle, and replace the fore end,
stock, trigger, and a few other bits and pieces, and still be
money ahead than if I bought parts, and assembled exactly what
I wanted. So all the while I ordered parts, and upgraded the
rifle, I shot groups for load development. Today I have the
rifle exactly how I want it, a bit lighter, and fitting me.
All through the process of upgrading and shooting hand loads,
I have never had one malfunction in the rifle. And I am not
having any problem putting 150 gr. bullets into 1 MOA groups.
Some sub-MOA groups have been shot, and more are likely as the
loads and the rifle find love.

I bought mine just as the Gen 2 was hitting the market. I
am glad I bought the Gen 1. Proven reliable is worth
1 lb more weight, to me, because that is the difference
between Gen 1 and Gen 2...And the difference is even less
now that I have upgraded parts.

There is only one problem with the rifle...Well actually it
is with me. My face hurts from grinning every time I get it
on the range.
tt1.gif

Squeeze