Ar question

possum#1

I am looking to purchase a AR in the near future.I have people telling me to get one with the gas piston system instead of the old gas tube.Which one is better and more reliable?Anything else I should know to look for or stay away from?
Thanks for any input.

Piston is cleaner and cooler and kooler
cool.gif

Doesn't necessarily mean it is better or worse. Piston would be nice for FA fire or even running a suppressor or maybe if you were a high volume varmint colony shooter.

Gas impingement works. Its dirtier and hotter but it works.

Just my opinion and probably not worth much.

The gas system has proven it's self time and time again but like anything everyone has there own opinion myself I like the gas.

I prefer DI-for a hunter/target shooter the DI is lighter and generally more accurate all other things being equal. The piston/op rod system is probably more desirable in a rapid high volume fire situation. My .02.

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnI prefer DI-for a hunter/target shooter the DI is lighter and generally more accurate all other things being equal. The piston/op rod system is probably more desirable in a rapid high volume fire situation. My .02.

Exactly I agree

I have both and one of my piston systems is on a 11.5 inch upper. Its shoot just as accurate as my 16 inch DI weapon but much cleaner.

you won't ever notice the difference between the two. The piston system is to sell new rifles to those who already have a gasser. you'll never get into a situation where one is better then the other. They both just open the bolt for another cycle of auto loading. I would suggest you turn your concerns to triggers and maybe an adjustable gas block to tune the loading cycle if using less powder in reloads to save pennies

Back