Supermoon +1

Ihateyotes

Went out just as it got dark tonight to the pasture across the street. They are bailing it right now and this time of year the wind always blows to the north which makes it a challenge to hunt. As soon as I crossed the fence I turned on my NV scope and started scanning and saw a form to the east on a berm behind a gas well which I thought was a coyote (approx. 200yds) but I lost it in the tall grass. I crawled up on a row of round bales and set up my bipod.

I scanned the pasture again and came back to the berm and saw some eyes further down but on top of a new round bale. I got out my mouse squeaker and started singing the dying mouse blues. I kept watching and the eyes got up and jumped down off the hay bale. This is the first time I have seen a coyote on top of a round bale. I saw her heading back to the South and lost her again. Hit the squeaker a few more time and see eyes again, she is on top of another round bale and jumps down and heads north. I hit the squeaker a few more time but nothing shows so I decide to get down and cut the distance down and see if I can get to a position to see around the berm.

I am sneaking from round bale to round bale and here she comes around the berm heading east towards me but she is watching the rows of round bales where I was sitting. I get down setup my bipod trigger stick and wait as she disappears behind a couple of the new bales as she tries to get downwind of the "mouse". I placed the crosshairs on her chest and squeeze. I was rewarded with a smack and her in the dirt but still moving. Since I shot one in the same pasture two days ago and she got back up and disappeared over a terrace (gentleman bailing found her the next day, buzzards had turned her in to a pile of hair)I sent another round in to her and she stayed down.

She is young but was definitely using every tool she had learned up to that point but luckily I did not add to her bag of tricks. The blood on her neck is from her flopping and from the shoulder entrance hole. The second shot impacted about 4" further back and about an inch higher but you cant see it in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen them get elevation trying to visually see the source of sound but never seen them jump up on top of round bails... Maybe this one had some bobcat in her;) sound exciting sneaking through the bails closing the distance... Nice work

I thought it was an owl or a hawk on the hay as I have seen that before but never a coyote lol. When I saw her stand up I thought great now I am going to have check on top of the bales before I set up in the dark.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ihateyotes When I saw her stand up I thought great now I am going to have check on top of the bales before I set up in the dark.

Coyotes are very smart but they don't have the ability to reason like a human... If all the coyotes in an area where to band together and ambush hunters it would be a complete game changer to the sport of predator hunting... Even if you had a partner and you both had AR15s I don't think you would be able to fend off an attack by over a dozen coyotes attacking all at once... Especially if they attacked in the dark...

Same thing goes for deer..

We have found them on round bales a lot. In fact we started keying in on bales as a hunting factor.
Seen them on top of hay stacks too.
Ever seen them jump a sheep fence? Man can they jump when they want to.

I have seen them clear fences before I just would never would have thought of looking on the tops of round bales. It gave me a whole new outlook on seeing eyes shine and them being on top of the hay, it might not be a bird. It just goes to show you can always learn something new from them. One thing is for sure someone is going to leave with an education each time you just have to make sure you are the one earning the credit towards your PHd and not them lol.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: Ihateyotes When I saw her stand up I thought great now I am going to have check on top of the bales before I set up in the dark.

Coyotes are very smart but they don't have the ability to reason like a human... If all the coyotes in an area where to band together and ambush hunters it would be a complete game changer to the sport of predator hunting... Even if you had a partner and you both had AR15s I don't think you would be able to fend off an attack by over a dozen coyotes attacking all at once... Especially if they attacked in the dark...

Same thing goes for deer..

Assuming I Was In A Tree Stand When They Went On The "Attack" That Would Be Pretty Fun Until I Ran Out Of Ammo Or Wanted To Go Home Haha.

have placed the call on top of round bails a few times and had coyotes key in on it very naturally, seen cats on top before as well as a bunch of owls I like to hunt fresh cut fields, then seem to be mouse-ing and looking for mouse and rabbit kills in fresh cut fields

I've been known to leave a strategically placed round bale in hay meadows all winter. I set the call on the ground and the decoy on top. It's been very productive for me. We found a spot last year where a coyote had dug a hole in the top of some 2 year old hay and bedded down there in a snowstorm.

First of all thanks for nominating this very short story!

Now I have to ask if brass makes good fertilizer cause I just fertilized the entire pasture lol. I just went across the street to the scene of the crime crossed the fence turn on my scope a low and behold I have another one in the pasture. I pulled out my trusty squeaker and squeaked at him. I watched him mark the field and start walking away so I hit it again and he turns towards me and starts coming my way. Lesson one calm down and if he is coming let him come especially when you don't have a reference point for distance. I shot and he took off like a shot and I went to town. At least one connected because I saw his back end go out from under him but he kept going. I really need to put a range finder to that terrace that is twice I misjudged the yardage at just about the same location.

Back