homemade 3d target?

KillerBear

Id like to build a homemade 3d archery target because factory ones are EXPENSIVE so anyone know how to build one or pictures??

I've built a few but seems that the ones you could remove the arrows easy didn't last but a few hundred shots and the rest you would have to sit and place both feet against and pull like crazy. I bought one at (gasp) Wal-Mart on sale that has had a few hundred shots into it so far and you can't even tell. It is the black square one (can't think of the name right now). Was about sixty dollars regular, forty on sale, and well worth it. I have spent alot more than that on materials and messed up arrows and lost arrows from pass throughs.

Now.. If you have access to some rubber conveyor belt material you can build a frame to mount it with a frame out in front of it to house cotton batting about two foot thick. The conveyor belt will stop the arrow and the cotton batting will hold it. Resembles most backstops at pro-shops.. You can use poly fill in place of cotton as it will dry faster if it gets wet.

Only problem with this target stop is that it is not very portable.

Experiment and have fun is the main thing......

if you just want a target backstop for field point arrows...ONLY... then it's simple.... use rags.

there are a couple of styles.

1. fill up a burlap or feed sack bag with cut up rags, which makes it easy to carry around.

2. build a 4 ft x 4 ft frame with treated 2x6 boards, and cover the front and back sides with chicken wire. Stand it up and fill the entire area with old clothes or cut up rags, by stuffing them down from the top... before you place the top board on. The top board is really best when it's faced with a 2x4 on the top front and back, so that the top is open for allowing more rags to be stuffed down as the whole target area expands with shots, as the rags shift downward a little bit over time. Then put cardboard across the front, for attaching targets. The back can be left open or attach old carpet. The rags will pack up and stop the field points from passing through... and arrows can be pulled out with two fingers. It will last forever. Trust me on this one... I was a President of a 3D archery club for years.

Did I miss something? He asked about a 3D target, that has always meant animal to me.
Unless you're a chemist and want to play with foam compounds and build molds you would be better off buying one. If you were talking block style or bag targets the guys above covered it pretty well.

We did many years ago (before 3D archery targets) build elaborate paper mache animal targets with burlap feed bags packed tight inside. What a pain in the A$$ that was! we were kids and it was fun though.

If you. can build yourself a mold of a deer use that exspanding foam used in sealing a round pipes or cracks on houses. I've used it to fix 3 d target holes be careful a little goes a long way!

I would not try to build a 3d target. Just bite the bullet and buy one. But if you are looking for a target to just shoot field tips into then here is what I did. Make yourself a frame work box out of treated 2x4's and plywood leaving the front and back(where you are going to shoot) open. Then find a packaging warehouse that has shrink rap and have them save you a bunch off their pallets that they repackage. Or old clothing could work. Another thing that will work is the nylon screen. Get some short junk berbur carpet with the jute backing. Nail it to the front and back. Then stuff it full of the shrink rap or old cloths or screen. It is very good back stop and will last you along time. Easy to pull arrows and will stop just about any bow and arrow combo out there. When it starts to get soft just add some more packing. Just make sure to drill two small holes in the bottom to allow the water to drain. I have made a couple of these for some friends and they have lasted for 8-10yrs.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.A couple hay bales stacked up makes a reasonable facsimile.

Don't use hay bales for the new compound boys. They are too fast and will blow through them. Burlap sacks filled with rags or old blue jeans work good.

A cardboard box packed tight with that plastic stuff they use to surround items stacked on pallets works. Cover the whole thing with a garbage bag taped up tight to keep it dry. Needs a new bag every now and then. Ya gotta go to warehouses and mooch the plastic stuff.

The other bad thing about hay bales is they are green and shrink as they dry. Straw bales work better but to be sure of stopping the arrows they need the chunk of conveyer belt like mentioned above. The will last longer if you build a press to squeeze them tighter. The same press can hold waxed cardboard boxes layed flat and on edge.

Not 3D, but you can always draw a deer on a piece of paper and stick it on!

Originally Posted By: LongcruiseThe other bad thing about hay bales is they are green and shrink as they dry. Straw bales work better but to be sure of stopping the arrows they need the chunk of conveyer belt like mentioned above. The will last longer if you build a press to squeeze them tighter. The same press can hold waxed cardboard boxes layed flat and on edge.

Not 3D, but you can always draw a deer on a piece of paper and stick it on!

or old/new carpet remnants.

Go to WalMart and get the plastic bags out of the bin and stuff the in a canvas game bag.they will stop fieldpoints perfect.

Back