Predator Hunting Suppressed™: BLACKOUT

cbass16

The Coyote Rifle Mod 1 in 300 Blackout from LongRifles Inc makes it's debut on this predator hunt in mid February 2014.
Mild temps with typical 15-20 mph winds make calling difficult, but once again, the Ops team gets them in close and makes good use of the new rifle system.
Look for this duo again late in 2014. It's going to be a blast!

O'Neill Ops @ Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/oneillops

Last edited:
Badassery as usual guys.

Following body parts reminded me of a coyote a friend of mine shot a couple months ago. He shot it at about 75-80 yards in the face with a .243WSM. The coyote dropped in its tracks a never moved, but we found the tongue about 30 yards away from the coyote.

Chupa

Obviously, the kill shot was not indicative of what actually happened to this big coyote, but as with all shooting/hunting...you just can't expect the expected. It would have been really nice to get that big pill right into the face of this coyote...but alas.

When we saw how much internal became external, we realized his death spin was either a tough dog, or a fluke.
I expected to get up to the coyote and see a pencil hole in the throat or maybe off to the edge of the shoulder that missed vitals. Not the case.
CHUNKS of meat and lungs were blown out.
The wind was blowing so hard, and the sound so quiet that you just don't appreciate how hard that bullet hit. It sounded like someone getting hit with a baseball bat.

If you watch slow, you can see the exit low and just behind the ribcage on the left (far) side.

Great video guys! Don't get me wrong, but I must admit I was little disappointed. I have been following anxiously ever since I heard you guys were building a 300 Blackout for Yotes. When I saw the video posted I was hoping to see a clean kill. The reason is that I myself have been testing the Blackout for two years now, first in a AR and most recently in a bolt gun. My experience on 10 different animals(hogs, Yotes) has been exactly the same as yours, Spinners and runners. The only thing I have been able to cleanly kill is rabbits and birds. I think I heard that you are using the 220 Lapua bullet. I have been using the 240 SMK. I know you guys will figure it out, and I hope I learn something from your testing. I love the Blackout with sub ammo!! I just wish I could figure out a good killing combination. Good Luck! I will be following your hunting.

I wasn't all that surprised, but we didn't have any expectations of "typical predator caliber performance" either. The pop and drop you can get with ultra high velocity calibers isn't going to happen with this cartridge unless you shut down the nervous system.

The whole purpose of this rifle is head shots inside 100 yds as quiet as possible.
This caliber is purpose driven, and you really have to know your dope to go for the head with it.

My personal opinion, is if they are going to be used on game,
A) it might be a good idea to use a BIG swagging tool and make that hollow point cavity much bigger so it opens up with less velocity.
B) try a bullet with an exposed base, and load it backwards.

Maybe someone, someday, will start making a 240gr bullet with scored sides, similar to pistol bullets. That's probably the best factory option, that would the the hardest for an individual to do on their own.

I'm surprised none of the bullet manufacturers have come out with a heavy bullet that'll expand in the 300BO velocities

I enjoyed the video, top notch as usual. Realistically not all shot are going to drop them in their tracks, the quick follow up finished the job nicely.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84I'm surprised none of the bullet manufacturers have come out with a heavy bullet that'll expand in the 300BO velocities

Yep, been saying it for a while now. There needs to be a 220gr V-max or SBK.

Chupa

I keep wondering why cast lead bullets wouldn't work. I used to hunt with a C Sharps in 45-70. That bullet was traveling the exact same velocity as the Blackout, but yet it expanded and killed well. Granted, it was a .45 cal. and weighed 350 grns. It was a flat nosed bullet, and I'm sure the larger frontal area had something to do with expansion. I know cast bullets are available in 30 cal. Maybe i'll load up some and let you guys know...

Originally Posted By: coolhandI keep wondering why cast lead bullets wouldn't work. I used to hunt with a C Sharps in 45-70. That bullet was traveling the exact same velocity as the Blackout, but yet it expanded and killed well. Granted, it was a .45 cal. and weighed 350 grns. It was a flat nosed bullet, and I'm sure the larger frontal area had something to do with expansion. I know cast bullets are available in 30 cal. Maybe i'll load up some and let you guys know...

That's actually pretty good thinking. I would like to see that, maybe coupled with some expansion tests in various media.

Chupa

I guess you're looking at anywhere from $1 to almost $3 a bullet for a bullet designed for that round.
edit: didn't notice that the Lehigh bullets in the above post were complete rounds for $3/ea

Every time I start thinking about making a 300BO I always come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redleg84

Every time I start thinking about making a 300BO I always come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it.

IF you have a can, it's worth it
wink.gif

I just received an email from Cutting Edge and they responded that they have a bullet that hey are almost ready to market. It will expand down to 750 fps. As soon as we have a bullet that is accurate and will expand....the blackout will be a gamechanger for 100 yard SUPPRESSED shots.

Back