Another trick for the bag O tricks

the impactzone

My brother and I hunt a spot that is a dry lakebed for hogs, we sit on an extended earth pier in comfort with refreshments and scan the 800x1200 yard lakebed for hogs and the occasional coyote, judging distance is always a problem at night, so last night my brother took his laptop with us, and pulled up google earth. we know all the major land marks in the lake bed and have ranged them during the day but you still have to go back to a photo and double check for anything beyond 300, the google photo was recent so when we spotted a hog he mark it and give me the distance. Worked pretty well and quick for a situation that you have an internet connection and spotter.

We did score on one hog at about 175, and passed on several at about the same range I was hoping to get that 500 yard shot with the bright moon last night

the gash on the hind quarter is where I cut a reward out for the dog

Last edited:
Cool trick! I also like to use a program called snagit to print out large google earth maps maps. It's easy to make a 2-3'x2-3' map to print out laminated at fedex. Really comes in handy to have that birds eye view! Thanks for sharing

Nice work again, Phil, you will get that 500 yard hog eventually!
cool.gif

Snag-It is a nice screen capture program with allot of other goodies, well worth the price and easy to use...

Back