Cooper MDL 21 "Classic" 17 Reminton Fireball

Long Life

I'm planning on ordering a new Cooper in the .17 Remington Fireball. My primary reason is for Bobcat Hunting here in Nevada. Cats this last season were going for $500+ big Tom's with lots of White and spots were hitting the $600 range. I did some trapping last year and caught two big Toms both were right at 42"

Fur Damage was my first concern. I read all I could on this Forum and Lots of guys recommended the .17 HH but the FB will do anything the 17 HH will do and a lot more.
Talked with Todd over at the Wood Chuck Den and bought his 17 book. This is my first experiance with a 17 other than a 17 HMR i once had. Cant imagine it not being a great Coyote Rifle as well pushing a 25gr at 3800. Then it will be fun taking Ground squirrels this spring.
I plan on putting the Leupold 6x-18x CDS on it..........
I really took my time skinning out the Cats I trapped and they both turned out beautiful.........Did not sell them but will be having them tanned. Just to beautiful to sell.

What experianse do any of you guys have shooting the .17's on Cats or Fox or Coyotes..............

Gregorio

the coyotes that I have shot with the 17 fb has had little damage and dropped in their tracks, the only down fall to the 17fb is, ammo is hard to find, I can only find it made by Remington, all in all I love my 17fb

17s are a great fur caliber. You can't even tell where the bullet goes in but they fall like they get hit by lightning. Pick them up and they slosh on the inside! My preference is for the 17 rem but you won't be disappointed with your choice. The fireball uses a little less powder and is a bit more efficient cartridge so for pdogs and such it will work out well. Stick to the 25 gr hp
bullets on coyotes and you'll be pleased. For cats you might do well with a vmax bullet. I think the cooper uses a 10 twist barrel though so you may not have any luck getting the 25 gr vmax to stabilize. Instead use the 20gr and see how you do. Let us know how it works out for you. I bet your gonna want another one once you get bit by the 17 bug.

Back