Coyote Hunt Trip

GrizleyHunter

Hey Fellas need some help.
I am still wanting to head south this winter with my 5th wheel camper and do some yote hunting.
But I am having a hard time finding a place a rancher or large land owner that needs some help with their coyote population.
I can stay on location for as long as they wish to let me help them out.
I can also donate some of my time with their heavy equipment work
if needed.
Have you got any ideas??
Thanks

Most of the SW is public land with lots of free camping.

Getting a commitment from a rancher to let you camp and hunt for an extended period of time is going to be tough with out someone he knows vouching for you.

If you don't have the contacts in the area you want to stay in you might try talking to one of the agencies that a ranch with predator problems might turn to and see if they will give you a list or contacts. Send them a resume as if you were looking for a job listing your qualifications and experience and even references of people you've done control work where you live.

You can also place and ad in the local papers.

Going cold and expecting local land owners to trust you is difficult. Some times you can hunt an area on public land and hit the local cafes for coffee in the morning (pick the one with the trucks that have diesel tanks in the back) and strike up a conversation with the locals once you can get on one place it kind of snowballs if they like you. The first day your just a passer through and by the third day they get curious about you.

News travels fast in a small town. I was camped in a tent in a rural town in MT and baked a lemon merange pie for one of the families that lets me hunt. I went to a small town FORTY miles away to watch a six man football game and stopped at the local store to pick up some more pie crusts and the lady at the counter asked me what I was baking and I said I was going back to the camp ground and make pheasant pot pie for the guys. Her comment was "Your the guy baking pies in a tent". What you do and how you act in a small town travels fast.

Last edited:
The wife and me are going to Tucson and spend a month camping. We're going in Jan. -Feb. and attend the predator master convention while were there. They say there is lots of public land there and I am sure it will be nicer than east central Indiana regardless if I don't even see a coyote.

Viper
I agree on the better weather and getting out of northern Michigan in the winter would be a great thing.
And getting a coyote would be icing on the cake.

So if a guy wanted to get away from the cold michigan winter weather and do some coyote hunting for a few months what state would you head to.
Warmer weather and coyotes what more can a guy ask for.!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: GrizleyHunterSo if a guy wanted to get away from the cold michigan winter weather and do some coyote hunting for a few months what state would you head to.
Warmer weather and coyotes what more can a guy ask for.!!!!!!!!
Southern AZ.....Coyotes up the ying-yang, bobcats are nuisance wildlife there, lots of public land, nonresidents are just about guaranteed to get drawn for javelina permits, small game and upland game birds are in season in the winter, and more mountain lions are taken from GMU 33 by predator calling than from units that allow using dogs. Your nonresident AZ combo license ($160.00) is good for a year from date of purchase and can be used statewide for both hunting and fishing.

Unit 33 is awesome! Love that area
smile.gif

Back