Selling Lead?

DANNY-L

I bought a bunch of reloading stuff from an old guys family after he passed. I have probably around 200 lbs of lead. He was also big into fishing so I think it is what he used it for as he had no lead bullets and 1 of his boys took several large boxes of sinkers. Some of the lead is really soft pipe,some 3" and 1" pieces. Some has been melted into about 2"x2"x1" ingots. Also quite a few lbs of wheel weights. I'm looking to sell this stuff but have no idea what its worth,someone here must know what a fair price would be to ask. Thanks

Don't know about wheel weights, but I pay .75 lb for pure lead. Higher than the .55 quoted, Bu they let me cherry pick it.

Look up some of the traditional muzzle loading clubs in your area. Most of those guys cast their own.

You could make the USPS regret those flat rate boxes.

Last edited:
Wow. To think that when I lived in Tennessee the Goodyear dealer in the town next to me would GIVE me a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights as long as I gave him another bucket to replace it with. Do you know how much a 5 gallon bucket brimming with wheel weights weighs? Well, I don't either but I doubt that I could even lift it now. I had 4 of them full to the top at one time. And even though I have not made a single bullet in over 15 years I still have some loaded up and some ready to be loaded. I guess that I should shoot them someday.

Don't be surprised if there is a bit of casting equipment for sale in the classifieds soon. Might as well get rid of it and let someone else use it now.

Originally Posted By: LongcruiseDon't know about wheel weights, but I pay .75 lb for pure lead. Higher than the .55 quoted, Bu they let me cherry pick it.

Look up some of the traditional muzzle loading clubs in your area. Most of those guys cast their own.

You could make the USPS regret those flat rate boxes.

The big flat rate box can be 70 pounds
frown.gif

Thanks guys. I was also thinking flat rate. Make them work a little harder for some of there screw ups. I'm sure they won't just throw it like some packages. I'll have to give a call to our 1 and only scrap yard and see what they pay. At 55 cents a pound and they can have it.

You better use lots of tape on those Flat Rate boxes!LOL

For a while there I was ordering 50 lbs of lead shot and they were shipping it in one Flat Rate box, that was when the Flat Rate was only $10.00. After my first order was deliverd to my house my local Post Office called me and had me come pick up the other orders at the Post Office.

It was a good thing the whole box was covered with shipping tape because the Flat Rate shipping boxes were all smashed up.

Pure lead and WW should sell for about a dollar a piece if it is in ingot form. If one has to melt it then I would say .70 - .75 lb.

Originally Posted By: UtahShooterPure lead and WW should sell for about a dollar a piece if it is in ingot form. If one has to melt it then I would say .70 - .75 lb.

Clip-on wheel weights in ingots sells for $1 per pound all day long on Cast Boolits; pure lead (in ingots) for a bit more. In raw form, more like .50-.75 per pound.

Back