Removing Case Neck Donuts?

Very dark room, with just a crack of sunlight through the door. My flame was probably 3-4 inches long and I did try it in that light blue flame. I'm going to try it again here soon with tumbled cases, maybe I just couldn't see the color very well underneath the soot.

Originally Posted By: Verminator2So I tried it out today with a drill/deep socket and propane torch. The good news is that the 'donuts' or whatever tight spot I had in the case neck is fixed. However, I can't seem to reach that dark red glow, no matter how long I leave them in the flame or how close to the torch I get. (Don't worry, I'm testing it on trash brass, just to get a feel for it.) The test brass has been Winchester and old Lapua .243 AI cases. Any ideas?

Put the neck in the TIP of the flame, not down in the middle.

Like this.

Annealing221FurBall_zps438f2295.jpg

Well I annealed a batch of 50 and came up with a few more questions. How much inconsistency can you have with the heat/glow before it matters? I had some variation in how red they got and for how long. All had about the same amount of faint discoloration down the case body. There was one case that the neck and shoulder glowed a bit, and the discoloration ran almost halfway down the body. Should I be worried about that case?

Also, I think you're right about the collet die being trash. I haven't verified it yet, but I'm afraid the die may be sizing just a hair past the neck and into the junction based on faint collet marks. While seating into the annealed cases I'm still getting a slightly tight spot at that junction. I think I'll try to shim it until I get a new die.

Originally Posted By: Verminator2Well I annealed a batch of 50 and came up with a few more questions. How much inconsistency can you have with the heat/glow before it matters? I had some variation in how red they got and for how long. All had about the same amount of faint discoloration down the case body. There was one case that the neck and shoulder glowed a bit, and the discoloration ran almost halfway down the body. Should I be worried about that case?

Also, I think you're right about the collet die being trash. I haven't verified it yet, but I'm afraid the die may be sizing just a hair past the neck and into the junction based on faint collet marks. While seating into the annealed cases I'm still getting a slightly tight spot at that junction. I think I'll try to shim it until I get a new die.

Your annealing is fine.

Read this:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Also, look at these cases.

AAAAA022_zpscb7ad224.jpg

AAAAA020_zps4b9c7d90.jpg

AAAAA016_zps737660d0.jpg

One case has turned color all the way to the base - both had the same amount of heat for the same time...

... and both were tested for hardness, and both were exactly the same hardness.

Load your cases and be happy!

tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: Verminator2Haha, alright, I think I got this whole thing settled now.

Well, it's about time!!

tt2.gif

You're welcome!

Back