Hornady manual 168bthp varget load data is strange

Redrock

Im loading for a good friend. Hes not a precision shooter he has a socom II m1a. All he does is try to blow stuff up (tannerite) and hunt hogs on a atv. He bought some varget and hornady 168gr bthp. I looked in the hornady manual and the starting load is like 32 grains of varget and max load is 44 grains for this set up. I usally start around 44 grains for .308. So is this right i would rather set him in at like 35 and save powder as long as the gun cycles. But i [beeep] sure dont want a undercharge thanks to all.

Originally Posted By: RedrockIm loading for a good friend. Hes not a precision shooter he has a socom II m1a. All he does is try to blow stuff up (tannerite) and hunt hogs on a atv. He bought some varget and hornady 168gr bthp. I looked in the hornady manual and the starting load is like 32 grains of varget and max load is 44 grains for this set up. I usally start around 44 grains for .308. So is this right i would rather set him in at like 35 and save powder as long as the gun cycles. But i [beeep] sure dont want a undercharge thanks to all.

Understand two things.

First, all manuals and loading sources vary, so one will say 50 grain max and another says 54 max - that is just the way it is.

Second, the M1A rifles require loads that are in a very narrow pressure range to function - too much (even though the load is safe) will beat the crap out of the action... too little, and the rifle will not reliably cycle or function.

You can not properly work uploads for an M1A without having the gun, and testing loads for function - the minimum that will reliably cycle is what you are looking for - you need 12,000 to 14,000 PSI at the gas port to function.

Back