Wild Coyote Double!

MrYoter

The only thing that makes this event even more awesome was the fact that my girlfriend brought the camera, and I finally killed my first coyote! (I was a bit stoked too because of using a 4 round bolt action...)

Last edited:
That just doesn't look like 400 yards. He sure got out there quick if it was.

It was about 20 seconds from the first shot to the second according to the video. If he was at 0 on the first one (he was actaually some distance on the other side of you) and 400 at the kill site, he would have had to be running 60 feet per second. That equates to 40 mph.

Possible I guess, just doesn't look that far. May be an video (optical) illision. Usually they look farther on video than they really are.

Congrats on the first coyote and running shot.

Last edited:
Nice instruction from a guy that's never killed one !!! My calculations show the second coyote to be at 394.7 yards. Yellowhammer's math is wrong.

Yellowhammer, the average coyote is capable of a 40 mph full run... I think it is fair to say he was on a full sprint head ducking and all. Regardless, even with the vertical distance error, I doubt my rangefinder was very far off. It read 394. One more thing to consider, that first coyote was just under a hundred yards away. My girlfriend had the camera zoomed in (not sure by how much) from the start.

And SHampton, I've shot dozens since I put the recording in haha. All I've learned is that the call can sound like [beeep], but you NEED to be set up for success. Luckily they howled so setting up was not rocket science.

Nice job! You picked a good day to have the gf bring the camera along. Thats a good hunt for a first yote. Keep it up. 400 yards or not, it is still a good shot. Those dudes are quick no doubt.

Originally Posted By: SHamptonNice instruction from a guy that's never killed one !!!

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: MrYoter
And SHampton, I've shot dozens since I put the recording in haha.

Dozens since November last year?

Originally Posted By: MrYoterWell I believe you can improve your shooting just by paying attention to your rifle accuracy. I bore sight the x-axis windage every night before I go. Set your gun on permanent shooting sticks and look through the bore while lining up the **center** of your bore to a horizontal line like a door edge. When you look through the scope your vertical crosshair should be on the vertical line of the door.

This is how to shoot accurately, duh.

SHampton, yeah I was pretty surprised to see that you guessed it to the T. I figured you may have just seen the caption on the youtube video, but if that was a legit guess that is wild! Go buy a lottery ticket

Brained, haha yeaaah. I live in MT now, and go to Nodak now and then... dozens is not very many AT ALL for one season. If you enter your stands diligently, and hike the miles, then you are bound to kill them consistently because there are coyotes out west........ lots

And yeah, I do that a lot to see if my windage is off. I do that most times before I go out to figure out if I need to re-sight it. If its on, then my confidence is boosted. Nothing screws up a shot more than doubting the scope, for me anyway.

Awsome shot! I killed one last winter on a dead run quartering right to left at 315 yards on the first shot. I have shot alot of coyotes, some at even longer range but was very excited about that shot.I can imagine how excited you were getting it on film! Awsome shot! Congatulations!

Quote:Yellowhammer's math is wrong.

The math is right if the distance is right. He ran for twenty seconds. if he went that far, he went that fast.

Being zoomed I am sure that is why it didn't look that far.

Regardless of the distance, it was a good shot.

Grinder67

I know how you feel... three weeks later than this I killed a double WAY better than this one. Of course I don't have it on video, so its hear-say, but my girlfriend is the only one to attest for it.

Anyway we called in a 4 pack in Nodak, and the grass was 5-6 feet tall in some areas with bald patches scattered. You would see a couple, then none, then one, then a bunch, then none etc. She couldn't see any of them, so I tried pointing them out. One eventually saw me do this and they all stopped between 300-320 yards. I took range and quickly I set up and took the closest in the belly, but it wasn't on camera. Then I followed the last I could see as it turned and went STRAIGHT away from me up a very steep hill. It was going straight up so windage was easy, and made a wild guess: I put the coyote in between my lowest two mil-dots on the scope. You guys won't believe it, but I wacked it first shot- pure luck since I just guessed how high to aim and squeezed. Shot it right in the [beeep]. I forgot the yardage but it was in the 470s. Believe it if you want, but it was too lucky for even me to think that a long running shot would ever happen again. I wasn't even confident I'd hit the first one standing at 300ish! Talk about depressing, that those two weren't on film....

Back