Fixed vs Adjustable

Originally Posted By: CARTER LAKE-SHARKadjustable, i shoot it, the kids shoot it, lighter or heavier clothing, etc.

+1

1/2 of mine have adjustable and the other 1/2 have fixed/prs stocks on them. The adjustable are for the kids to shoot or for the cold winter days when I have to bundle up. The prs is for bench work or for coloney varmints.

fixed = no extra noise that you didn't count on right at the wrong time.

adjustable = shoot with hunting pack on and maintain proper weld for longer shots.

I like my A2 stock, it just feels more stable for me. However I have not tried it in the winter yet so I kept all of the needed parts to reinstall my adjustable if needed.

I like the Magpul CTR. Best of both worlds. No wiggle. Solid. I need the adjustable for the difference between winter and summer clothing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MGYSGTAdjustable stocks wiggle too much.

Tom

With all due respect, you need to upgrade your adjustable.
grin.gif

I have gone to Magpul ACS stocks, and no wiggle, no noise,
and a nice landing pad for my cheek. I have adjustable stocks
on five AR rifles, and no fixed stocks, for the reasons
mentioned. And no, none of them are the cheap Tapco, RRA,
or DPMS style adjustable stocks. Most of the time, the
stocks are adjusted to the same hole, but if the Grandson
shoots one, or I have heavy clothing on, or maybe reaching
more to shoot out of a box blind, I am happy to have choices
in the LOP. Put me solidly in the adjustable camp.

Squeeze

I always have preferred a longer LOP and enjoy my Ace rifle length fixed stock. No kids or anyone else to shoot with so adjustable is not really an issue. Have an adjustable stock ar as well though.

UBR stock is probably the best of both worlds if the weight doesn't bother you. It adjusts like a collapsible but is as solid as a fixed stock. I prefer collapsible for a hunting rifle, smaller it is the easier it is to carry.

Last edited:
I have been running an Ace Skeleton for two seasons now. I didn't put the thick butt pad on it so the LOP is fairly short. I havent had any issues with it at all.

When I do it all over again (next build) I will go with a Magpul adjustable. I like the idea of being able to adjust it for LOP, and also to be able to smunch it down for portability.

Back