How to clean uniflow

bigtommy

I know you are to clean the powder measure before using it for the first time but the instructions do not say how to. What did you do to clean and remove all the greese and oil.

Use soap and hot water; wash the Uniflo thoroughly, and then dry it. Finally, before first use, dip the powder reservoir (all the plastic but not the aluminum) in a room temperature bowl of soapy water, stand it up open end down on a paper towel and let it dry. The soap will remove the static electricity that is inherent in the plastic.

Once you get a layer of graphite on the reservoir the static will no longer be a problem, but you need to do something to eliminate it at first. The soapy water does that...

Another trick you may find helpful: before you use the Uniflo, take a ruler or similar and measure the total length of the powder reservoir. Divide that by three, and put sharpie marks on the outside at the 1/3 and 2/3 measurements. Then, keep your powder between those two marks while loading; it will keep the powder charge more consistent between throws. And make sure you use a powder baffle as well...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoublessUse soap and hot water; wash the Uniflo thoroughly, and then dry it. Finally, before first use, dip the powder reservoir (all the plastic but not the aluminum) in a room temperature bowl of soapy water, stand it up open end down on a paper towel and let it dry. The soap will remove the static electricity that is inherent in the plastic.

Once you get a layer of graphite on the reservoir the static will no longer be a problem, but you need to do something to eliminate it at first. The soapy water does that...

Another trick you may find helpful: before you use the Uniflo, take a ruler or similar and measure the total length of the powder reservoir. Divide that by three, and put sharpie marks on the outside at the 1/3 and 2/3 measurements. Then, keep your powder between those two marks while loading; it will keep the powder charge more consistent between throws. And make sure you use a powder baffle as well...

If you use a baffle, you don't need to mark the powder tube - it is meaningless.

If you don't use a baffle, then making the powder tube won't help, it is meaningless (again)... the loads will vary a lot.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootWiping with a dryer sheet will eliminate static from plastic funnels and powder measures, drop tubes etc.

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: DoublessUse soap and hot water; wash the Uniflo thoroughly, and then dry it. Finally, before first use, dip the powder reservoir (all the plastic but not the aluminum) in a room temperature bowl of soapy water, stand it up open end down on a paper towel and let it dry. The soap will remove the static electricity that is inherent in the plastic.

If you use a baffle, you don't need to mark the powder tube - it is meaningless.

If you don't use a baffle, then making the powder tube won't help, it is meaningless (again)... the loads will vary a lot.

I wondered how long it would take you to disagree with me... thank you for telling me that what I do/did is meaningless. It is much appreciated.

I loaded for almost 20 years before I bought a baffle, and keeping the powder in the center third of the Uniflo resulted in loads that were in a lot of cases more accurate than I am. In short, my experience does not match yours...

The biggest influence on powder variation between charges is the type of powder formulation; but I guess that goes without saying...

It is called eliminating variables, or at least keeping them to a minimum. We evidently have different ways of accomplishing the same thing, apparently: assembling handloads that will out-shoot factory ammunition.

And yes, a dryer sheet will work just as well as soap and water. But dryer sheets cost a lot more than soap. When I started handloading we weren't using dryer sheets. My Uniflo is now right at 35 years ago and still hasn't seen one...

Last edited:
The key to accuracy is consistency, I do two bumps at the top of the stroke and two at the bottom and keep my powder level in the middle third of the tube, been working for over 35 years.

Back