Reloading Dies for bolt and semi-autos in .308 & .223

TXCOONDOG

I want to start reloading for both my bolt actions and semi-autos (AR) in .223 and .308.

I know that I will need to resize (full length) all brass for the semi-autos and full length resize once for the bolt guns, then only resize the necks of the cases.

Which dies or die set do you recommend ?

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGI want to start reloading for both my bolt actions and semi-autos (AR) in .223 and .308.

I know that I will need to resize (full length) all brass for the semi-autos and full length resize once for the bolt guns, then only resize the necks of the cases.

Get a three die set - FL, Neck, and Seat - and you will be fine.

So many good die sets out there it is pretty much pay your money and take your choice. I think that Lee are the best for the money and I have several sets of them even though I also use RCBS, Redding and Hornady as well.

Get a set of FL dies from someone and you can always back off the sizing die a bit if you only want to neck size and you can still FL size with them too. You may want to get a collet die from Lee for your bolt guns at some point. Some folks like them and some don't. I have a few of them but rarely use them anymore.

I pretty much full length size everything nowadays. I like the ease of chambering in my bolt actions and I still get .5 MOA with the right loads. Plus I don't have to worry about picking up the wrong box of ammo when using my AR-15. Plenty good enough for me and the critters that I shoot.

Originally Posted By: Rustydust

You may want to get a collet die from Lee for your bolt guns at some point. Some folks like them and some don't. I have a few of them but rarely use them anymore.

Rusty,
If some like them and some don't and you have them but rarely use them.......... Why would you recommend them?

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: Rustydust

You may want to get a collet die from Lee for your bolt guns at some point. Some folks like them and some don't. I have a few of them but rarely use them anymore.

Rusty,
If some like them and some don't and you have them but rarely use them.......... Why would you recommend them?

Well, actually I don't. Because some folks like them that's why I say "may" want to get some. I have mine in .223,.220 Swift and .17 Remington and they do work, but as I mentioned I just FL everything now and don't bother with neck dies or collet dies.

Another reason that I just full length size everything is because being retired that gives me something to do in the winter when it is too cold to go shooting or motorcycle riding. I have oodles of brass right now ready to be separated and cleaned and then reloaded. I almost like an extra step or two now as it keeps me busier longer when the weather sucks. Next spring when the ground squirrels start poking their heads out I will be ready to target practice on them. Same thing for prairie dogs. Vicious routine but I think I have it pretty well down pat by now.

I like redding die's and have a few foster seating dies.
I put Lee and hornady at the bottom of the list.
And I full length size all my brass never have to worry about a stuck case while hunting.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter
TXCOONDOG said:
I want to start reloading for both my bolt actions and semi-autos (AR) in .223 and .308.

[/quote

Get a three die set - FL, Neck, and Seat - and you will be fine.

That covers it.

Do I need a small base die for the semi-auto?

My AR and bolts action in .223 has a 1:9 twist and I use the 55 and 60 grain vmax so if you have a recipe, please share.

My Remington 700 SPS in .308 likes 168 grainers so if you have a recipe, please share

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGDo I need a small base die for the semi-auto?

My AR and bolts action in .223 have a 1:9 twist and I use the 55 and 60 grain vmax so if you have a recipe, please share.

My Remington 700 SPS in .308 likes 168 grainers so if you have a recipe, please share

Thanks for the replies.

I would definitely get small base dies... the reason being that eventually, you will be loading surplus cases and if your rifle has a smallish or minimum chamber, you will need SB dies - and if you don't, they hurt nothing - so it is one of those things that you might need, and it won't hurt if you don't need it.

Catshooter is correct. It depends on your chamber I have a a bunch of rounds that I loaded up using a wilson case gauge that functioned great in 4 different ar builds of mine but they will not run in my friends dpms rifle, they stick in the chamber every time.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeCatshooter is correct. It depends on your chamber I have a a bunch of rounds that I loaded up using a wilson case gauge that functioned great in 4 different ar builds of mine but they will not run in my friends dpms rifle, they stick in the chamber every time.

My DPMS LR-308 and LR-243, I have to use small base dies. I also had to use small base dies for my Browning BLR in 308win. I have stopped handloading for the Browning BLR. Since, I shoot less than a box of shells in it each year. It has been my go to elk rifle and factory ammo kills just as good any of my handloads. Over the years, I have found I do not have to load for ever rifle I own.

Back