100,000 rounds of ammo stolen in Kansas

pyscodog

On Facebook, there is a post about a home invasion and 100,000 rounds of ammo was stolen. Of course, he must have been a pysco, why else would he need that much ammo? I gave an opinion, and was hit with give me facts. How do you explain to people why a person needs that much ammo? You can't! They WON"T listen to reason or try to be open minded enough to listen to possible reasons. Maybe he was a reloader and just felt like reloading that day/week. Maybe he sells reloaded ammo, maybe a competition shooter. Who knows. Does it really make a difference. I'm jealous, wish I had that much loaded. I hate narrow minded people.

Think about the guys that forced themselves in at gun point knowing that the homeowner was probably armed to the teeth! These are law enforcement's worst nightmares!

It is also amazing how these number grow in the news editor's room - the kid that shot people in the Colorado movie was reputed to have bought 60,000 rounds of 223, until it was pointed out that it would weigh about 2,000 pounds - then the number shrank substantially to 600.

Could be 50 different explanations for having that much. I can think of many. Only one the anti's will think of is that the guy's a dangerous psycho. Wonder if maybe those 100K rounds were really 10K, or 1K.

Details? Link to news report?

If he was a legit hunter or shooter, I feel bad for him.

But why does it come to mind that he just might have been a .22 RF hoarder that did a little too much bragging about all the RF he had squirrled away? I must have met 10 of them in the last 2 years, the stool-squatters that brag about how they get tipped off to the Walmart shipments so they can swoop in and clean it out as soon as it hit the shelves.

Heard one guy bragging at Cabelas back in March that he had 200,000 rounds in his basment.

Grouse

If you have 200,000 rounds of 22RF and are still hoarding whats on the shelf your an arsehole, and should be told as much. Leave some for the parents trying to teach their kids to hunt and shoot.

Originally Posted By: Coyote CruiserIf you have 200,000 rounds of 22RF and are still hoarding whats on the shelf your an arsehole, and should be told as much. Leave some for the parents trying to teach their kids to hunt and shoot.

I've given ammo to my nephew so he could shoot in 4H the last two years because you just can't find the stuff on the shelves.

Originally Posted By: vahunterMaybe he had so much ammo because he didn't get to range too often.

Maybe he "had" so much ammo because he is going to commit insurance fraud - you have any ides how much 100,000 rounds of ammo weighs??
Even if it all 22 rf, it is half a ton - how many break in croooks have the ability to haul off half a ton of anything.

Guy here claims to have 200,000 rounds of 22FR here also, but I don't believe his trailer house floor will even support that much. Not to mention he being able to afford it. That would be more than $10,000 at reasonable prices.

THink of how many trips that would take to haul that out of someones basement..

Look for a crimal that can't walk cause his quads are so sore that he couldn't make a run for it.

as for the 200K rounds.. I would call myself a hoarder as well, but even I stopped at a couple of ammo cans full of 22lr, and handgun one, and then i have bullets, and enough powder and stuff to load that for all my shooting needs for a few years.. But i can't imagine buying that amount of components just beacause it doesn't last forever (even stored in military ammo cans). and I wouldn't want to load all that, since I change loads ever couple of years and wouldn't want to have to pull all those apart, if i make a change.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZTHink of how many trips that would take to haul that out of someones basement..

Look for a crimal that can't walk cause his quads are so sore that he couldn't make a run for it.

Not gonna happen. Crooks ain't gonna work that hard.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: vahunterMaybe he had so much ammo because he didn't get to range too often.

Maybe he "had" so much ammo because he is going to commit insurance fraud - you have any ides how much 100,000 rounds of ammo weighs??
Even if it all 22 rf, it is half a ton - how many break in croooks have the ability to haul off half a ton of anything.

Cat nailed it here. I'd bet that the guy lied through his teeth about the quantity to the insurance company.

My bud at work looked up some more info and it seems the ammo owner was hit by a train and died sometime before the robbery. On another note, the guy on Facebook says there was never an Obama scare?????? He never tried to get guns or ammo. Maybe he didn't but all his cohorts did. Says it was all NRA.

About 15 years ago I was called to a local residence as an EMT for a 73 year old with chest pain. His house was guns in every corner super nice guy retired railroad. As I was putting him on the cot he said oh wait a minute and pulled a cocked and locked 45 Wilson custom from a holster in the small of his back and asked me to put it on the kitchen table. I did and we transported him. About 9 months later he passed away. When family showed up they discovered over 300 firearms and 200000 rounds of ammo in his garage. The family held an auction at the local VFW. Quite a bit of the ammo was reloaded but it sold. He had case after case of 06 from CMP and some 45. Lots of 9mm and 5.56 also. I never saw the guy outside his home and in our community where everyone knows everyone that's unusual. He never came to any of our local shoots but another older gentlemen told me they all shot together in the 50s and 60s and the old fellow that passed went to Camp Perry several times. Wish I had gotten to know him better.

I met a guy a year or so ago when looking for a reamer for an oddity caliber. He said he usually didn't show people his stuff but the person that recommended me to him was a friend on both sides. (Myself and him) I can't even start to tell you how much ammo this guy had. He had 222 ammo that was in cans marked for military use when they were first developing the AR platform rifles before it went to 223. Case after case after case. His basement was full and about as many rifles to boot. Hundreds of sets of dies in calibers I have never imagined. The collection was simply amazing to say the least.

Yup that is what I could assume. Multiple rifles and pistols with multiple chamberings.

A decent supply of ammo for each. To include rim fire and shot gun wouldn't be too hard to get a pile of ammo.

So if I theory I had 100 different calipers in rifle and 10 different pistol. 2000 rounds loaded for each would that be hoarding?
tt2.gif

Back