ruger mini 30?

Been thinking about getting a mini 30 tactical with a 16 inch barrel...Any thoughts about this rifle...I already have a AR ...I been looking for a rifle in 7.62x39 ...And aks are a little pricey and don't really care for SKS ....What's your opinion about these....Anybody own one of these ...?

Last edited:
wish I still had mine...stainless ranch mini 30...

used to cut fence posts down with em. pie plate at 100 yds was nearly impossible with mine but for plinking and general truck rifle it is great.

I had a blued ranch rifle years ago, they are fun guns to tinker around with but mine wasnt much in the accuracy department.

Be aware that the answers you get may be skewed depending on the age of the mini-30 in question. While the original mini-14's & 30's WERE generally inaccurate Ruger made significant improvements in the designs several years back and it's a different story nowadays. Heres a link to a recent test that'll give a idea of what a present day Mini is capable of.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/260.htm

I have one, love it
carries really well and its accurate enough for its purpose, which is a deer/truck gun/plinker
I have taken a few deer with mine and its done a fine job.

one of my favorite rifles

Good luck

Big difference between early and newer versions, I think the new started with 581 series prefixes as serial numbers.

My stainless M30 is a 1.4 MOA gun off the bench. Garden variety Fiocchi 124 gr FMJ runs 2470 fps out of my gun. Gun is very reliable, trigger is decent, certainly not match grade though. Mine has an 18.5” barrel.

I really like mine. Don

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys...I was also wondering what ammo you guys run through the mini 30? I hear people say brass only and I hear people say they will eat any kind of ammo..

as far as ammo goes Ive had good luck with the silver and golden bear ammo
very few ftf with them.

basically it comes down to the berdan primed ammo, the berdan primers are harder for use in fully automatic weopons, or so Ive been told. The firing pin in the mini is set up for boxer primed ammo wich are softer, and using the harder primed ammo may cause a broken firing pin, which is a major pia.

In a nutshell any boxer primed ammo is good to go, anything else your gonna have to decide on your own, most people stay away from the wolf/tula ammo.

I did buy some Arsenal made brass/boxer primed ammo, awhile back, Ill try some this weekend and let ya know how they function. The price on it wasnt bad at all either.

Back