Strange Sightings Today

venatic

Some who know me are aware that I get to travel around the state a little here and there. Well today I saw some oddities. Stopped by one pawn shop and low and behold Varget everywhere 8 lb's containers and 1 lb's as well. I checked the price of the 8 lb containers 169.00 but I passed. Peeked really quick into Cabela's and there were lots of 22 RF on the shelf but it was standard velocity and I have enough so again I passed.
I was looking around just in case they had some 75gr AMax's but alas none found at my first 2 stops. Hit another little shop and again lots of powder of all kinds.... Varget,CFE223. IMR4007,really almost anything you could want. Moved on back toward home and decided to hit a little shop that has very few bullets but usually has a good supply of powder/Primers.
As usual lots of powder and again they had two cases of Varget which the guy did say just rolled in. He asked me what I needed and I told him Hornady 75gr AMax. He and I looked thru the mishmash of bullets which are not stacked in a very orderly fashion and decided nope none here either. Then he suddenly said " oh wait here's a big box that says' 75gr Amax" and he hands me a box of 600. I am still smiling.
thumbup.gif

I haven't been looking for rifle powders, as those I either
was well stocked on, or found limited supplies, to fill out
the powder locker...But shotgun and pistol powders have been
impossible to get. Apparently the fire at a foreign Hodgdon
factory has had a huge impact on the availability of even
other brands. So tonight I amble through the reloading supply
store of my Trap Club, and there on the shelf is 8lbs of
Alliant Promo. Never loaded with it, but I knew it was a
cheap version of Red Dot, with a reputation of being a bit
dirty, and metering can be a challenge is some powder measures.
But I was looking at my last 4 lbs of Hodgdon Universal the
other day wondering how I was going to start rationing it...
Shotgun ammo for trap league, or pistol ammo for match
shooting? My new Glock 21 Gen4 has been eating a lot of
ammo these days, punishing the plate rack. The Promo came
home with me. It will take over the trap league ammo loading,
since the Citori doesn't care about dirty loads. But I might
have to run some test loads in 45 Auto, 40 S&W, and 9mmx19,
just in case the Hodgdon shotgun/pistol powder drought drags
on. At least I have a refreshed supply of shotgun/pistol
powder. Things might be easing...Finally. I have heard of
22 LR ammo being on shelves, too. I got 200 rounds of
Winchester HV last week for 6.79/100. Not cheap but not gouger
expensive, either.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI hear good things about those 75gr Amax....

It was almost to the point that was was considering I may have to trade my 400 Berger .17cal 30gr to get some.
w00t.gif

I recently had to drive to NC and my BIL took me to a small shop that was a local favorite. Lo and behold, I was close to empty on RL 19 and he had 3# @ $25.95/lb. Picked up 1000 CCI Small Pistol primers for $35. Powder was a bit higher than I paid a couple of years ago, but didn't seem too high compared to today's prices. May have paid too much for the primers, though???

First of either I've seen in a long while.

Regards,
hm

hm1996, that's in line with the price of primers I've seen in my 3 state circuit that I travel in
my search for supplies. Plenty of CCI primers, rifle powders to be had around Arkansas,Tennessee and Missouri. Havent run across any pistol powders since March or April of 2013.

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI hear good things about those 75gr Amax....

It was almost to the point that was was considering I may have to trade my 400 Berger .17cal 30gr to get some.
w00t.gif

Hmmm.....
I'm listening...
wink.gif

Back