NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

There's an article in American Hunter on that Win load.It pretty much reads like it was written by Win' ad dept.Claims like the 40yd turkey barrier has finally been broken and that they hammered a coyote at 50 yds along with the turkeys.I don't know where he came up with that 40 yd barrier thing.That distance has been within easy reach of any decent 3" field load of 4,5 or 6 shot/turkey choke for years.The coyote at 50yds line speaks for itself.

Last edited:
The thing that seems to be overlooked about those shells is the fact that regardless of how well they pattern at long range, they are still just a lead pellet. Lead doesn't penetrate as well or carry as much energy as the various "denser than lead" tungsten pellets. There are claims of using this load to 60 & 70 yards and that is too far for lead #6 shot to reliably break a turkeys head and neck skeletal structure. Hyperbole advertising does nothing for credibility. Winchester has always had a good turkey load on the market, let this product stand on its own merit without the hyperbole. From what I have read (no personal experience with the product) it should be a great patterning load kept within normal expected ranges for lead shot.

I've always been a huge fan of Win' shells.Ever since I started reloading I try to use them as much as possible.Most of the turkeys I've taken over the last 25 years or so have been with Win 2 3/4" hulls reloaded with 4 shot.I've taken a few with 6 but I agree it's to light at distance for my taste.Broke my heart when they discontinued their 3" buffered BB load.It patterned just a bit better for me than Fed's copper plated load for a fraction of the cost.

That's good advice

Originally Posted By: VeronaSXOriginally Posted By: coues7GC,

Do your recommend the .670 for really any shotgun?

I have a Benelli SBEII and a Remington 870 Express. I'd like to buy one choke for each an be done.

Give William at Sumtoy chokes a call. He'll work with you on a choke for what gun you have, what shell you want to shoot and how you want your pattern to look. He's like a shotgun patterning genius.

And when you get the choke, and you don't like something about it, he'll swap it out with another constriction until you get what you want.

Doesn't get any better than that, that's how you buy just one choke and be done with it. All my shotguns are wearing Sumtoy chokes now.

I am shooting the same choke for turkey loads and #4 buck in my 835. 200 in the 10" at 40 yards with hevi 6 and 20-25 #4 Buck in the 10" at 40 yards. The 20" circle is nice and even also. One of the best investments I've made and they're not too expensive at all.

well i tried some winchester long beard xr 3" #5 shot. 1.75oz. 1200fps. browning bps 12g. kicks gobblin thunder .675 choke. i got a big piece of construction paper and traced my copenhagen can out right in the center. set it out at 45 yrds and aimed right at the copenhagen outline with my factory bead. first off i was very happy to see it was one of them very few loads i have shot that hits where i aim. most loads shoot as much as 4" left and 8" high from my point of aim but this one was purty much dead on POA. it patterned the tightest of any turkey load i have tried or loaded myself. the only high density shot i have used is wingmaster hd #6 shot and this stuff shot tighter then that. i had 13 pellets in my skoal box outline at 45yds (verified by leupold range finder) looking at the paper it looks like there would be around roughly 42 or 43 pellets in the kill area of a turkey target. i wouldnt shoot one at 60yds but this will be my new go to turkey load for the simple fact its right on my POA and i dont want to put a scope on my shotgun

on another note them winchester razor back buckshot loads shoot great for me as well. they too hit right on my poa unlike the federals and shoot almost as tight. i can put all the pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds with the razor backs but i can put all the pellets in a 8" circle with the federals. but the winchesters pellets are moving at 1400 fps. and the federals are low recoil and i forget how fast they are but its no where near 1400 fps. now if they would come up with some kind of high performance coyote load then they would be number 1 in my book for shotshell makers. i would like to see something in the lead f or t shot category produced. maybe some shotlock loads in one of them diamond cut wads or something. who knows what they will do next

Originally Posted By: 22caton another note them winchester razor back buckshot loads shoot great for me as well. they too hit right on my poa unlike the federals and shoot almost as tight. i can put all the pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds with the razor backs but i can put all the pellets in a 8" circle with the federals. but the winchesters pellets are moving at 1400 fps. and the federals are low recoil and i forget how fast they are but its no where near 1400 fps. now if they would come up with some kind of high performance coyote load then they would be number 1 in my book for shotshell makers. i would like to see something in the lead f or t shot category produced. maybe some shotlock loads in one of them diamond cut wads or something. who knows what they will do next

Winchester Supreme Extended Range High Density Waterfowl SWXR12LB, 12 Gauge, 3-1/2", 1-5/8 oz, 1450 fps, #B Bismuth-Tin Alloy Shot, 10 Rd/bx

mine want shoot 3.5 and what i meant to say was a super load of some kind made of lead so that most people could afford it. they have had a B size heavier then lead load for yrs and used to be cheaper then any of the other stuff on the market but last i checked was around 4 bucks a pop

Originally Posted By: GCThe thing that seems to be overlooked about those shells is the fact that regardless of how well they pattern at long range, they are still just a lead pellet. Lead doesn't penetrate as well or carry as much energy as the various "denser than lead" tungsten pellets.
You beat me to it.

I got ten boxes of five shells of Federal Heavyweight 1-5/8 oz of #6 shot Turkey loads on Gun Broker the other day for a decent price. I got these Federal Heavyweight 1-5/8 oz loads for about $1.50 a shell less than Hevi-Shot Goose 1-1/2 oz loads are selling for now.

The first thing I noticed was the crimps were a little shallow or too deep. When I opened the shells up it looks like they didn't use enough of the red plastic filler beads. Even with the filler beads in with the shot the shot was 1/8" to 3/16" below the top of the wad.

007-3.jpg

I was surprised to see that the Federal Heavyweight #6 shot was silver in color. The Federal Heavyweight #2 and #4 shot that I have is very dark, almost black.

015-7.jpg

I weighed the shot out of three of the 1-5/8 oz Federal factory Turkey loads. One shell was right on the money, one shell was 4 pellets light and one shell was 3 pellets light.

I counted the Federal Heavyweight pellets in one of the Heavyweight #6 1-5/8 oz loads and it had 280 pellets in one load.

I weighed 1 oz of the Federal Heavyweight #6 shot and it had 176 pellets per ounce.

According to the 1 oz shot table lead shot has 223 pellets per ounce and Rem HD shot has 207 pellets per ounce.

Federal has it printed right on the Heavyweight boxes that Federal Heavyweight shot is 35% denser than lead. I know for sure that Federal Heavyweight #2 shot works great on coyotes.

I am taking the shot out of 35 of these Turkey loads and I am going to reload right at 45 3" 1-1/4 oz loads with the Federal Heavyweight #6 shot for duck hunting.

Getting ready for turkey season so I had to re-zero the aimpoint over from predator hunting. Hevi-shot magnum blend 3-1/2" @ 40 yards through a patternmaster code black, puts down a nice pattern.

Federal has it figured out. I run the HW #2's, and sometimes #4 buck, with a .670 HMaker for dogs. Turkeys get the HW #7's with George's tube.

I seen Mossberg duck commander shotguns all have the ported barrel. wonder if they dropped that flight control wad load and are moving on to something like the Winchester long beard kind of load made by federal that we don't know about yet

Here's some Hornady Magnum Coyote BB at 50 yards shot with an Akdal MKA1919, modified choke, Burris Fastfire III on top. That's a 12x12 plate of AR400.
Btw, let's keep this thread up and rolling, I love reading about different shotguns and loads.

I have been testing some different chokes and loads recently. I have done a lot of reading here and really appreciate all the info. By far the best source I found.

One thing I haven't been able to find clear advice on is - the pattern of my SBE 1 is high and left about 10 in high and 6 in left.
I got these results with 3 different chokes and about 4 or 5 diff loads. This was multiple times and different outings and I can make other guns hit poa, so I don't think its me. Shot from a rest.

I did hear about the Briley chokes, but that is really it. I also read about the barrel bending but that sounds like a last resort rather than a first attempt. I called 3-4 gun smiths to get some suggestions or some level of confidence they were familiar with this, but they pretty much had nothin to offer.

Anyone get these results and have any suggestions to correct this short of new sights or optic?

I may end up needing to go that route, but I would prefer the gun shoot straight first.

Suggestions or experiences appreciated....

Not yet. I do have the ones that came with it, but I have heard mixed results on their effectiveness.
Is this what you would do? Do you know which one(s)?

That is exactly what they are there for. From memory I couldn't tell you which shim does what, but that info would be an easy Google search.

Back