NF 3.5-15 or VX6 3-18?

I was set on getting NF 3.5-15 for my latest RECCE/SPR Kreiger build, but the more I read up on the Leupold VX6 3-18, the more I think this is the scope for me. It's lighter, cheaper, and has a higher top end zoom. 

So who has experience in comparing these two? Which would you choose? 

I'll be using this for coyote hunting, precision paper shooting, steel punching, and prairie dog hunting. This is pretty much my do-all rig.

i my self would go with the 3-18x44 because of the lighter weight and price diference and it is a really good value and great glass, but you can never go wrong with a nightforce

I'm not a big NF fan, I've had several of them and just sold my last one.

On the VX 6
You can put MOA CDS dials on the VX 6 and they work just like turrets. The best part is how low profile they are. Their great for a hunting rifle where you want to keep things light and free of scopes with big bulky turrets. Its a solid scope with great glass. I really like mine.
file_zpsd6dc45e1.jpg

The Leupold VX6 and the Nightforce NXS are in a different league, if you were putting it in the Leupold Mark 6 line then they scopes are on par.

The NXS is build a lot stronger, the turrets are a lot better, but I will say the glass is close to being on par. If you get the Nightforce NXS you will not be disappointed.

We sale both scopes so if we can be of help let me know.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

As CS just said the NF turrets are a LOT better. Get your hands on a VX6 and give the turrets a spin. You will find it is difficult to feel or hear each click, if you can even call it a click as it really isn't audible. Very mushy. I will sell my 4-24x if anybody is willing to cough up $1200....it's great glass!

Last edited:
The NF turrets might be better but the comparison isn't fair either. One is more of a hunting scope with great glass that can be used as a scope with turrets for longer range shooting. The other is a tactical scope that costs a lot more with turrets built for long range shooting. It also features less than stellar glass for a scope that costs as much as it does.

There's nothing wrong with the VX6 turrets once the CDS dials are installed. No they don't have the feel of NF turrets but they do click and they will return to zero with no issues. Its a perfectly capable scope for general shooting like the OP mentioned and its several hundred less than the NF. The best thing is its light weight and low profile. You don't have those big NF turrets sticking out of the top of the scope.

Well said furhunter. For a hunting scope, I would go with the Leupold.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterThe NF turrets might be better but the comparison isn't fair either. One is more of a hunting scope with great glass that can be used as a scope with turrets for longer range shooting. The other is a tactical scope that costs a lot more with turrets built for long range shooting. It also features less than stellar glass for a scope that costs as much as it does.

There's nothing wrong with the VX6 turrets once the CDS dials are installed. No they don't have the feel of NF turrets but they do click and they will return to zero with no issues. Its a perfectly capable scope for general shooting like the OP mentioned and its several hundred less than the NF. The best thing is its light weight and low profile. You don't have those big NF turrets sticking out of the top of the scope.

I have the vx6, and Furhunter is right it's a bad azz scope! It will take my 243 to 800 yards and back to zero no problem. Great hunting scope or medium paper puncher.

why not look at a German scope if you are willing to pay that kind of money and all you have to do is look through them to see the difference in the glass.

Given the variety of uses you are contemplating why not go with Leupold's VX-3 6.5-20 EFR with target turrets. The clicks are audible, precise and the EFR will let you focus down to 10 yds I believe. Its lighter than either one you are considering and 400 dollars cheaper.

I never bought into the Nightforce hype, and yes I have tried more than a few. I stick with my Leupold VX3s and my lone VX6. No, the clicks aren't as loud as a Nightforce, but I don't want them to be. It's a hunting scope.

Glass on the VX6 is superb. Same on the VX3.

I have a few VX3's on varmint rigs and a NF on my Long Range Hunting rig. The glass isn't even close on the VX3's NF wins hands down. I have ZERO experience with the VX6, but I'm not about to sell my NF. Don't get me wrong I like the VX3's for what I'm using them for, just wish I could afford to replace every one with a NF. The biggest thing I noticed right away is the 22x on the NF seems about the same or more than the 25x on my VX3's

Comparing a VX3 to a Nightforce is like comparing a PSA to a Larue...

With that said, I don't think a NF is $1000+ better than a VX3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WedgyAs CS just said the NF turrets are a LOT better. Get your hands on a VX6 and give the turrets a spin. You will find it is difficult to feel or hear each click, if you can even call it a click as it really isn't audible. Very mushy. I will sell my 4-24x if anybody is willing to cough up $1200....it's great glass!
My take as well.

I have and use CDS scopes, but Leupold dropped the ball on the VX-6's by not offering real target knobs as an option. I talked to a tech guy, and they aren't even on the radar in the R&D department.

So you market a LR scope w/o knobs....who dreams this schitt up?

I never said it was a tactical scope, nor did I say it has to come with turrets.

Maybe you're content with only shooting as far as one spin of the dial gets you with a CDS turret, I'm not.

To not have the option of target knobs, let alone them designing a long range suitable scope and R&D not even considering target knobs from the onset, is a dumb azz move.

Originally Posted By: alfI never said it was a tactical scope, nor did I say it has to come with turrets.

Maybe you're content with only shooting as far as one spin of the dial gets you with a CDS turret, I'm not.

To not have the option of target knobs, let alone them designing a long range suitable scope and R&D not even considering target knobs from the onset, is a dumb azz move.
I think Leupold set out to make a versatile hunting scope with maximum power range at a affordable price.They did! Comparing the VX6 to a Nightforce at double the cost is silly.I haven't looked at a Leupold Mark6 yet but comparing that to a NF would be more apples to apples.
I love my Nightforce and I love my VX 6.
Different animals they are.

Originally Posted By: jamesdOriginally Posted By: alfI never said it was a tactical scope, nor did I say it has to come with turrets.

I think Leupold set out to make a versatile hunting scope with maximum power range at a affordable price.They did! Comparing the VX6 to a Nightforce at double the cost is silly.I haven't looked at a Leupold Mark6 yet but comparing that to a NF would be more apples to apples.
I love my Nightforce and I love my VX 6.
Different animals they are.
I thought it was going to be a perfect scope at a reasonable weight, and fair price, but they dropped the ball on not offering target knobs.

I have a bunch of NF's and never brought up a comparison here, but since you mentioned it, the VX-6 CDS is too mushy for my liking. To top it off, when I talked to the tech guy, I asked him why they didn't put a plain 'ol MOA CDS dial from the factory, then a person doesn't have to blow his free CDS dial for one, and can order a custom for another load. Crickets......

Originally Posted By: alfI never said it was a tactical scope, nor did I say it has to come with turrets.

One turn of a CDS dial will get you 600yds minimum. On flatter shooting calibers it will get you even more range. What the heck are you hunting past 600yds?

The VX line of scopes are Leupold's HUNTING line. They have a tactical line as well. Here's a hint: It doesn't start with VX.

Complaining about tactical turrets on a hunting scope is like complaining a Ferrari doesn't have a tow hitch.

Back