coyote hunting in Oregon

Romer63

A couple friends and I are looking for a place in oregon to find a coyote or two or more.we live near the portland area.any sugestions would be welcome.

I would say anywhere in the eastern part of Oregon, and I'm sure there's some songdogs down around the Medford area and all the way east along the southern border. The area around Burns Junction up through Jordan Valley all the way to the Idaho border has dogs in it. Used to see a few everytime I made the trip from here in Reno up Hwy 95 to visit my grandmother in Meridian Idaho.

Iam from eastern oregon and jordan valley is a sweeeeeeet place to be I miss that country so bad it is now about a 10 hour drive and its still worth it!!

I use to hunt them around the Albany/Lebanon area but the trick is finding open land to hunt on the west side. The logging companies looked like they had everything locked down last time I went over there. I know there us to be some around the out skirts of Portland but it has been way to long to remember any of the places we went around there.

I see alot of folks recommend Eastern Oregon. I should clarify this a bit. Most of North Eastern Oregon at least outside the Nat'l Forest is private. That private ground, even for coyotes is not easy to gain access as most of it is leased out. Landowners that I have approached that are under contract with a lease are very hesitant to let anyone on for anything. Someone above did mention the Burns area and south of Burns. If your willing to travel that far, there is a lot BLM ground down that way that does have alot of coyotes. If you willing to go down to the south east corner, PM me and I can get your started. You may also consider the Fort Rock area.

Last edited:
Last year a buddy and I went to eastern Oregon Baker City area to a place called Rufenacht we called in about 2 yotes and had a blast, we went their again only to find out they clear cut alot of the area and we could not call in a single one, no call backs howls or anything it was a bust. So we moved to Old Auburn and called in 3 within the first 10 minutes but couldnt get a good shot on one as they were chasing 3 elk at about 400 yards. We got some pointers from the ODFW bioligist of some places to check out and once I comfirm I will be glad to repost my findings.

I would suggest you take yote talker up on his offer to go to private land. We do have a lot of dogs here in the union/baker county area, however the dumb ones die as pups on public land. Those that make it to the second season have learned to be very slow to come in.

Ive been watching these threads for a while now but this one is close to home for me.( hour away) I just started calling last year and was instantly hooked! Jordan Valley is a good area? wish I knew more. Ive had a very hard time find areas to check out.(not trying to steal anyones honey hole just a rough start)

Last edited:
Go out towards molalla I know years ago.we deer hunterld up there. scotts mills area should be good also. And on I beleive it was dickie prairie road there was some timber that was feel free to hunt. Havent been down that way in years but it might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
Back