Lucky Bird Brings Me #5!

S2H

Decided to hit the farm to see if the fields would be down enough to call over and still see coyotes. Field had just been cut and there were rows of hay. Not sure that I was going to be able to get a dog out into the open field, but figured if I could get them to come to the edge of the woodline, I might get a shot. I set up the caller and decoy right in the hay row and sat at the base of a lone tree in the middle of the field. Not much cover, but what the [beeep]?!

Sundown hit, had a great wind and started up the caller. Had the Lucky Bird call on a third of the way in volume and started my scanning. Probably 10-15 minutes after sundown, I catch a yote break the field and start making his way to the caller. Not more than 75 yards from me. I stop the caller and he starts to charge the decoy. He got to within 20 yards of the decoy and hit my scent from around the setup (I'm guessing). He turned and started to make his way back to the woodline...but stopped to look back at the decoy. One shot from the AR put him in a spin, second shot finished him off!! Not more than 50 yards. Turned out to be a good sized male!! Hit the pup distress call and heard barking and howling in the woods. I couldn't get them to come to the edge however. I was really, really, really trying for my first double!! Just couldn't get it done. Great hunt though...and my 5th yote of the year! Such a rush when they come to the caller...it all happens so fast!!

Yote528JUN2014_zps80e478cd.jpg.html

Last edited:

Nice going. Seems your thought to stand position paid off. Too bad the others didn't come to the edge. Success is sweet.

Nice, its cneat to watch them lock on to the decoy and come in quick.
Im still waiting for a double. But lately we cant even get a single to come to my calls.

Last edited:
Back