Tikka T3 Varmint or Browning Xbolt Stalker .223

MLC

I really like both of these and know the quality of the Tikka.
I want a .223 that would also handle the 5.56 nato round and both of these will. I have heard some good things about the Browning Xbolt but would like to hear other opinions. I not looking to shoot more than 3 to 4 hundred yards. The Tikka is about $50 more but I'm not worried about that if the quality is that much better.

I have not owned an xbolt but would be surprised if the trigger was near as good as tikka.
The tikka resale value looks better too.
Not knocking the xbolt, just vouching for the Tikka.
Tikka changed the twist rate to 10 I think. there may be some 8 still around. An 8 would be stamped on the barrel.

I have an early model Tikka Varmint in .223, with a 1-12 twist. It's VERY accurate, very close in performance with my Coopers. I put a Jard trigger in mine, and it's a really nice. I have no info on the Browning.

Originally Posted By: nr123I have an early model Tikka Varmint in .223, with a 1-12 twist. It's VERY accurate, very close in performance with my Coopers. I put a Jard trigger in mine, and it's a really nice. I have no info on the Browning.

I have a T-3 Sporter in 223 Rem, 1:12. Way beyond the
accuracy a factory stock rifle should have. 1/2 MOA groups
are boringly common in this rifle. It loves Hornady V-Max
50 gr. bullets. I head shoot crows with it at 100-150 yards,
that is how much confidence I have in it's accuracy.

I have a Browning BAR, in 308 Win, but no bolt action
Brownings. Fondled and shot a few. Nice rifles, but bug hole
accuracy isn't as likely as in a Tikka. My vote is for the
Tikka.

Squeeze

I have both the rifles you mention. I won't say one is any better than the other but I carry the Browning a lot more than the Tikka. The stock feels much better to me. The triggers are so close I couldn't tell them apart. As far as accuracy, they both shoot better than I am capable of shooting. In the tunnel at Bass Pro Shop both shot less than 1 inch groups at 100 yards in the vise. Good luck in your decision.

We'll I order the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .223 from Buds today. $595 shipped. I called Beretta today to find out for sure what the twist rate is now and they said 1:10. Man said they have not made the 1:8 for several years and after that is was 1:12. So can't wait to get and try it out. I have Kahles CL 3-9x42 Multizero scope sitting in the safe waiting for it. I went ahead and order a set of Warne med rings to mount it. Thanks for all the good info.

I have that same rifle and like it. It will handle some bullets in the 60 gr range, I'm going to try the 65 sgk next. Mine seems to like 53 vmax, and shoots ultra max factory loads with 55 nosler BT so well I prob won't reload anything for it until I shoot up all of it.

And the $595 is hard to beat also.

Last edited:
I'm not a Tikka cake eater but do love mine in 223 varmint. I even put it in a mcmillan A3 and installed CDI bottom metal for AICS mags.

Back