Redfeild vs vortex

I bought both the Redfield and the Vortex. I mounted and shot both of them on my varmint rifle. I still own the Vortex. I had a problem with the Redfield and the adjustments,very mushy. I think the Vortex wins hands down in the clearity department. The Vortex is heavier,but to me its a better scope--1Longbow

If there scopes are anything like their binoculars I'd go Vortex. I looked at Redfield Rebel and the Vortex Diamondback and it was handsdown Vortex.

i have a diamondback 4-12x40 on my 22-250.its an excellent scope for me but the one thing i dont like is the short eye relief.however its the clarity i really like,sure wish they wood put a side focus on the diamondback.

Originally Posted By: sage rati have a diamondback 4-12x40 on my 22-250.its an excellent scope for me but the one thing i dont like is the short eye relief.however its the clarity i really like,sure wish they wood put a side focus on the diamondback.

Yeah the eyerief isn't the best, but its not bad either. I like it's FOV though. It has to be one of the higher FOV's in scopes.

A Redfield 3-9x40 costs about $159. A Viper 3-9x40 costs about twice that. I'd gladly take 2 Redfields over 1 Viper.

Now if you want to compare the $159 Redfield to the $189 Diamondback, I'd again take the Redfield without hesitation....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunA Redfield 3-9x40 costs about $159. A Viper 3-9x40 costs about twice that. I'd gladly take 2 Redfields over 1 Viper.

Now if you want to compare the $159 Redfield to the $189 Diamondback, I'd again take the Redfield without hesitation....

im curious,why?

Keep in mind, guys, when making these types of comparisons there can be several different models as well as price levels from some manufactures. That model confusion appears to be developing here.

The Redfield Revolutions are available only in one optic level and price range..

The Vortex products are available in four different optic levels and price ranges. I see at least two different Vortex lines (The Diamondback and the Viper) named for comparison on this thread and they are both quite different in optic quality and pricing....

A fairer comparison would be the Vortex Crossfire or Diamondback lines to the Redfield Revolution, not the Vortex Viper.... or Razor for that matter...

Just sayin'...

I have a redfield revolution 3-9×40 on my savage 93r17....very happy with it thus far. I will agree adjustment is alittle mushy. Other than that it holds zero and is alot clearer than i had anticipated. Zoom is smooth and pre ise. Could easily see eyes on smaller groundhogs @ 100-120+yds. 4 headshots yesterday in 5-7mph gusts of crosswind. For $190 i spent very happy.
I have a crossfire 2 waiting to go on my savage mark 2 .22lr. I was more impressed with the vortex in the store than i was with the redfield, so we shall see.

Buying a scope is like piling fire wood . When you think you have enough double the amount. And when you settle on a scope price jump one level higher. Your guaranteed not to freeze to death and you won't ruin your hunt due to scope malfunction. I hate it when equipment fails.

I've had several Redfield Revolutions and several Vortex Vipers, no Diamond backs or Crossfires.

Pricewise, the Viper runs double what a Revolution does.

Last fall, before deer season, I took a 3-9 Revolution, 3-9 Bushnell Elite 3200 and a Burris Fullfield 3-9 down to edge of the field. I sat there for the last hour of daylight and compared the three.

My conclusion was that all three were very comparable. I gave a slight edge to the Burris in light gathering, clarity. The Redfield and Bushnell I could not tell a difference in.

I think either of these three scopes are very adequate for woods "whitetail hunting". I've had all three of them out in rain, fog and snow and have had no issues. If all of my shots are less than 100 yds, I wouldn't consider dishing out more than $150. All three of these can be picked up for less than that in like new or slightly used condition.

I also did the same thing with my 4-16 Viper, 4-16 Steiner and 4.5-14 Burris Fullfield.
Again, I thought the Vortex ran neck and neck to the Steiner with both of them having a slight edge to the fullfield. Of course, the STeiner is double the money of a Fullfield and $200 more than the Vortex.

My biggest issue with the Vortex is that in bright sunlight, it tends to glare. Vortex is the only scope I've ever felt like I need to have a hood in full sun.

Just another opinion.

Regularly priced, I think Vortex is a little expensive for what they are. If you shop online for closeouts and demo models, you can find some great deals on Vortex optics. I now own a Viper, Viper HS, and Viper PST; none of which I paid retail for. I feel I have the best glass on my rifles for the money.
Redfield puts surprising good glass in their scopes. I've never owned a Diamondback, but with all the deals out there on the Vipers, I'd go for one of those. The Redfield turrets definitely leave something to be desired.

Back