RPG Custom 22X6.8

GLShooter

A few months ago Ritch and I discussed wanting a 22 variant on the 6.8. I like horsepower and wanted something to run up in the 3300-3500+ range. A reamer was designed and as time passed we got some barrels done by Black Hole. The idea was light varmint bullets and if it shot the heavies so much the better.

The rifle is a 1:8 24" Black Hole 3P barrel in an Aero upper with a BTE gas block and FF tube and a DPMS BCG. Assembled by Rich's Precision Guns. The lower is one I built with a a Giselle High Speed Match Trigger.

This was the first for the record rounds put down the tube. I had shot two shots previously getting some cases for measurement almost five months ago. Brass was made up using once fired Federal 6.8 that I got from LWRC. I used a single Redding Type S die and four bushings for the neck down operation. I put in 102 cases in the box to be formed and finished up with exactly 102 cases. None were lost and the forming was very quick running one of my turrets as a single stage. I settled on a 251 bushing for the first 55 grain rounds but switched to a 249 for the last batch of 77 grainers. The 251 was OK but I wanted a bit more grab in the long run. Bullets were loaded 0.005 off the lands. Notice the lengths. These are comfortably below any magazine COL out there. Primers were my usual Remington 7 1/2's. Bullets were the 50 grain Hooray ZMAX as I have a large number of those and the 77 Nosler CC's that I got on a production over run deal. They will be my long range go to bullet in 22.

I had this ammunition loaded for well over a month but family calls and the winds have been, shall we say, not helpful this spring. Temperature was a balmy 75-80 thanks to a cold front going through. Range was 100 yards with the winds switch from all angles and gusty. Mirage was running all over the place but when everything calmed down and I remembered to squeeze the trigger it was a rewarding trip.

So enough finger flapping and on with the targets.

First up is what the ZMAX turned up. Fighting the mirage was bear on these. Speeds were OK across the board in the 3500+ range. About 150-175 below what Ritch has been getting but I was being conservative on all these. Certainly PD killing stuff even at these pedestrian speeds. I found that H4895 was liked initially on this one and CFE showed some promise. I'll be shooting more of that anti-copper stuff in the future and also will bump up the RL 15. Lots of powder choices if you can get your hands on it.

Going through and taking my time put me several hours into the testing when I got into the 77's Noslers. Part of the issue was I had a scope that just didn't want to settle in so I lost the first five rounds down range setting it up with a new scope. Did I tell you I HATE swapping scopes out in the field and sighting them in? Ten minutes can seem like an eternity when the weather is god and your trigger is jumping to get something going.

Well I only loaded up two powders in the 77's. Those were CFE and Benchmark. I thought this tube would like the big guys thanks to its 1:8 and I was not disappointed. Speeds were decent as the targets show and for a total of eight groups shot the average was right on 0.8. Considering I was a tad tired and parched at this point I was very pleased. I'll let these show the hint of future goodness. The primers on these were nice and rounded. No swipes and obviously begging for more and there is plenty of boiler room waiting to have coal shoveled in it.

Benchmark has historically done very well in all the 6.8 variants I have shot and it came through again. This one has room to grow.

I tried the CFE on a whim on this one too and was pleasantly surprised to see the bullets snuggle in adequately. Velocity was coming up and it is dense enough that I see maybe 1.5-2 more grains on this one if all is well. I'll consult with Ritch about his pressure tests before I go hog wild on this. I do know that I will be getting a 26" Savage barrel by summers end so I can really wring this one out.

Not a bad day and I had fun getting some brass ready to go for the gusto down the road. The rifle ran flawlessly with the adjustable gas block really making it easy to tune the ejection. I have no doubt this shows up in how the primers look. No swipes or shiny ejector spots. Primers look like they are picture perfect. It doesn't get any better than that.

So go ahead and let me know what you think. As I mentioned these were coaster loads. Next trip I'll be tipping the keg a bit more. Cautious is as cautious does.

Greg

Originally Posted By: NV BillI'm anxious to see what your groups look like when you open that throttle up some more!

Ritch is geting them down in the 2's and 3's at speed. Of course he has a bit more skill at it than I do. I settle for 3's and 4's most of the time.

On a shakedown like this I know that the little ones are just around the corner. I use to think these were great until I started having Ritch build my guns.

The AR's are always a challnge no matter who you are. Ritch with the bolt gun versions of this is shooting consistent groups that as the kids say now are "insane"

Greg

I'm sure they are "insane". I've seen the groups you two post up with AR's, I can only imagine what bolt gun groups shape up like.

I am surprised it has taken this long for someone to come up with this variant of the 6.8. I had dtech build me my 22dti 4 yrs. ago which is almost the same with the shoulder modified slightly. It is a great round.

Originally Posted By: stinemanI am surprised it has taken this long for someone to come up with this variant of the 6.8. I had dtech build me my 22dti 4 yrs. ago which is almost the same with the shoulder modified slightly. It is a great round.

There have been a couple of close ones in that time. This is the first-ever offering that can be ordered from a respected barrel company that will do virtual custom products with delivery times that are reasonable. It is also the first one in the mainstream that doesn't require custom dies. All other variants have been proprietary and guarded jealousy by their designer. This one is non-proprietary.

I agree it is a great round. I predict a great time on the PD's in a few weeks. I'm glad I had a small part in developing it. RPG has been building these like hot cakes over the past few months. I think there will be another demand on the Redding dies that will make lots of sales guys happy

Greg

Last edited:
Very nice GL! Nothing like a 22-250 class in an AR. Yeah I was thinking that it is the same as the .22 DTI in the bottom line real world. It wouldn't surprise me to see some manufacturer standardize the 22/6.8 at some point.

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnVery nice GL! Nothing like a 22-250 class in an AR. Yeah I was thinking that it is the same as the .22 DTI in the bottom line real world. It wouldn't surprise me to see some manufacturer standardize the 22/6.8 at some point.

I have to agree with that. The whole family of cartridges would work. The 6 MM would be the best one.

Greg

First off, I am hesitant to post on this topic for I am no longer a sponsor here on PM. I am over a year behind in my shop and thought advertising was a poor idea until I get my lead-times under control.
Posting when you have commercial interests can be construed as “trolling” and I certainly don’t want anyone to think that of me. I think trolling is a despicable, and will not partake.

The reason I am responding is simply to clear up a couple of misconceptions: The main one being “proprietary and guarded jealousy by their designer” My DTI line is not proprietary in the least. I have had more than one customer wish to build a bolt-action rifle in one of my DTI offerings and I either provided the chamber-reamer or the reamer print for them to have their own reamer ground. The dies are also available to anyone from me, or directly from Hornady.

The second: “doesn't require custom dies” Yes, my dies are “custom” in that you won’t find them at the local hardware store, but they are only a few dollars higher than purchasing the Redding bushing dies and all the bushings necessary to neck the 6.8 down. I started that way, and just didn’t like the multi-step process. With the “custom dies” you simply run the 6.8 case through the FL sizing die and you are done.

I built my first 6 x6.8 about 7 years ago, and shortly thereafter converted it over to the 6 mm DTI. I built Stineman his .22 DTI about 4 years ago. True, you can’t get a Shilen barrel chambered in .22 DTI in 6 to 8 weeks from me right now, but I’m working on it!

I hardly think any of your contributions would be trolling. You are well respected in the gun world and you certainly have mine. I still like shooting my 20 TACTICAL you built me.

We're all getting to have fun and how we get there is personal preference. Proprietary in that I don't like single source anything period. Buying WOA and PDK dies and barrels is not a walk in the park fir most consumers.

Ritch designed a great performing cartridge family and went with it. The use of a single die and a bushing means that a caliber change costs right on $35.00. That would be a $15.00 bushing and a $20.00 Hornady seater die. Plenty of room in the pool for all. Every builder brings something to the table.

Greg

Last edited:
I had to run back out to the desert to finsih my sight in job before the big opening day for me. I had gone yesterday but had a bit of trouble with a trigger not running. Too much junk in it.. LOL I had only managed two shots after sighting in the new scope when Murphy showed yesterday so out I went. 20 minutes drive, 20 minutes set up one shot out of the barrel, cold bore dirty, and the job was done . Right smack in with the other two. A quick half an MOA adjustment and a five shot 0.7MOA shot hard for verification and I was a happy camper.

This one shoots but it can do better as I mentioned it is just not liking the Hornady 50's. The groups are not quite acceptable across the board. Maybe ten years ago but not now.

Three shots for the effort.

Greg

I did take the 22X6.8 and made a run at the Northern Arizona PD population last week. I shot this one first as the winds were anywhere from none to only 20 MPH at times. The area I shot in was truncated over the usual place as the other I needed to pay a fee on with reservations. Money I had, reservations I did not..LOL

The first shot of the day was 222 yards on a dog. The wind was a bit of an issue but only a slight quartering angle. The BTE trigger broke when I wanted it and lo and behold I had my first hit for the day. The terrain is really weird so finding a shot PD can be a chore when you hunt by yourself like I do. I high tailed it out there and found my subject. The 50 VMAX had done more damage to that one than I had seen in a long time. I'd post up a picture but let's just say Freddy Krueger couldn't have done better.

While I was doing my post mortem I spotted another dog out a bit. 216 yards with a gusting cross wind, lots of windy periods that day, made me work for it. Trigger control worked well as I started and stopped about half a dozen times. This one was off a setting bipod so it was not all that stable at times. A 2" hold off and I nailed this one. A stroll down the line showed a ballistically disassembled dog just like it's buddy. Not bad two shots and two down.

As the morning wore on the shots were not common and I killed about a dozen with the 22X6.8. I missed three out of 15 for that rifle. Longest shot was right on 250 and the shortest was about 100. I did have one spectacular shot, last one of the day with this rifle, that was memorable. I mentioned "peekers" before. Those are the PD's that you just see a curve of the head and a shiney eye looking at you. I spotted an odd lump out yonder at a lasered 152 yards. Looking hard I saw a tiny black shiny eyeball looking me over. Only a bit of hold under into the mound and a calm fifteen second let me get to work. I was running the Vortex at 20X and on the shot break I got to see lots of action. I walked on out and there was no dog!! But wait....drum roll.. there was a nickel sized blood splatter on the edge of the hole. The hole was pretty steep and dark down in there. I don't go noodlin' for catfish and I darn sure don't shove a hand down in a hole up there. PD's bite and rattlers love the cool!!! I couldn't se so I took my camera and pointed it down in the hole. The flash only worked once but an examination of the frame showed a PD that was, shall we say, looking like sprinkles. The front leg was loose, no head on the shoulders and the entire upper torso was a smear. It took me a bit to decipher the frame but I finally figured out what was what!

For the day I was very pleased considering the challenge of lack of targets. I'll be back again on the big ranch with permit in hand later in the summer. This one begs to be shot and I'm gonna help it out. Performace wise it was acting like a good 22-250 in destruction and shot flat enough that holding fur on a standing dog made hits easy even when the shot was tight.

Greg

Thanks for sharing. The 22x6.8 sounds like it's turning out to be a heck of a cartridge. I might just have to start saving up for my second RPG rifle!

Back