17 HMR vrs. .22 LR for short range coyotes.

Quote:
There have been inquiries re: wild boar, mt.lion, deer etc. I have seen these inquiries on other threads and on RFC.

I'm not making inquiries Pecci.

I'm giving good, solid, information about my own experiences with this round in this application because of an inquiry(the inquiry that started this thread). Observant info mind you, you can tell by reading the rimfire thread that i've been careful to note the ranges i shot, the ranges they may have run, shot location, damage, reactions, etc., which should give most readers plenty of insight to the rounds capabilities. I'm not the first to have used this round for this application...i would hate to guess how many coyotes have been taken with this round already. I would hate to guess how many are wounded by centerfire also. Those statements are not even the issue...it keeps coming back to limits of shooter and weapon. .17 hmr is capable to certain ranges...fact...biggest question is....is the shooter capable???

I just didn't kill several and said it worked fine, i killed several and noted many details that should prove quite useful to folks who may entertain the idea of using this round for this application....like the guy who started this thread for example.

Its good info too, i know i would appreciate it and do appreciate it when others take the time to inform in detail on subjects of interest to me. I am merely saying the .17 hmr is best choice of all rimfires in my opinion...based on experience...that's it.

We can argue until the cows come home if the round is good or not. I've had less coyotes crawl away from me(zero for the record) than Varmint Al has had ground squirrels crawl away from him...do the math. You should be defending me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif.

All joking aside, I think wrongtarget has taken care of explaining the ground squirrel situation of Varmint Al. You were leaving some important details out to suit your argument. Varmint Al was testing the round to fairly long ranges, i know, i've read the whole thing a few times, he was also making comparison to centerfire rounds which i think is a fair compliment to the might little rimfire that he would even do so. To me that says alot about the little cartridge.

C'mon man, i've been very thorough with my wording. You made assumptions based on hearsay about rib stopping bullet etc. i disagreed and rightly so because i knew otherwise from experience. You've got opinion that its not a good all round coyote cartridge...i agree. I think we are all on the same page, but must be bored or have too much time on our hands to basically keep argueing over...nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Just go get one and have some fun, you will be impressed.

B

Pecci, I can't understand why you are having such a hard time grasping this and why you feel the need to skew the facts. You don't own an HMR, and have never killed anything with one. Yet you are rock solid in your belief that the HMR is nothing more than a grasshopper round.

All Savage 99 wants to know is what would be better for coyotes. A .22 rimfire with Velocitors? or a .17 HMR? The HMR is a far better choice from my experience. I've shot coyotes with both and the HMR wins hands down. Savage 99 even made up his own mind after shooting the HMR at the range and you still are having a hard time believing it. Nobody is saying the 17 HMR is a "Do it all round" but with Savage's limited choices it's the best choice.

AAAHHHH! The old 17 HMR debate.

Keep it going guys. At least it will keep the "Is the 20 caliber enough gun for Cape Buffalo?" debate on the back burner for a spell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif - BCB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ethics are the rules that you impose upon yourself. People are always going off on these forums about how the other guy is unethical. We do what we do because we believe we are right. Your ethics are yours only.

Harvey7

48 replies to this thread.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

96220832deadhorse.jpg

Last edited:
Speaketh the Arborman: "48 replies to this thread... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif."

Arborman:

Just curious. How many responses exceeds your personal level of acceptability?

- BCB

Well that would depend on the thread. I see I'm not the only one who feels this thread is beating a dead horse. It just bugs me how someone can ask a legitimate question seeking help and get very few responses yet someone can ask a question (that has been beat to death here) honestly expecting solid information, never realizing the nature of the question itself effectively limits the responses to opinions only, and get dozens of responses. Yes you asked for my personal opinion and it is that 48 responses to "which is better...17hmr or 22lr...22-250 or 243.....which call to use.....which camo is best....do I wipe from front to back or back to front...which rifle to buy..etc. is too many. On page two of the pred hunting forum a real newcomer asks how to get started hunting. He got 4 responses all basically telling him to search the archives. Wouldn't this thread have been succinctly responded to in that same manner? Or at least a real brain twister of a reply like "consult a ballistics table" would be refreshing. Now I'm warning you guys..I have more thread bombs and I'm not afraid to use them!
Sincerely and somewhat apologetically Signed:
Overly opinionated in Florida.

Last edited:
ROFLMAO.... Good Point Arborman. I have abstained from posting on this until now. I said what I have to say in this type of thread long ago, in a somewhat far of place.

While I realize that many states only allow rimfire for hunting, and while I realize not everyone can afford a centerfire rifle, and while I realize shot placement is the key here, and yada, yada, yada; can we please turn one of these threads into a sticky to put at the top of board? Maybe have everyone reread the FAQs that contains these dead horse threads?

I will leave with a personal opinion, what I think is a good analogy.

I can get out on any NASCAR track with my wife's Ford Taurus, but do I really have a chance of winning? What do ya'll think?

Quote:
I can get out on any NASCAR track with my wife's Ford Taurus, but do I really have a chance of winning? What do ya'll think?

Lol.

Yes....if, 1. Your the only car on the track, then i'd say you have about a 100% chance of winning, or, 2. if the field was also full of Ford Taurus's with drivers who we're of similar caliber to you...then ya gots a fair chance of winning.

But if your up against proper race cars and race car drivers then your gonna need a plan....take your hummer and shoot out the tires of all the other cars...there won't be any ricochets and you'll prolly be able to punch out the valve stems to minimize the evidence, noise won't be a factor either...pretty quiet little round.

B /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Wow! A real life sheriff/pastor,philosopher and a thread cop (threatening all "you guys" with bad things) - all in just a couple of posts.

I didn't have an opinion on the 17 HMR thread. I don't even own one. I bought one early on and sold it in a couple of weeks after I found it was about like my 5MM CF Schroeder conversion. Now, that's just my opinion, understand!

J Holly: Don't give up on the Taurus. I posted on another sight recently that I won the 1996 Indy 500 driving a stock 1967 Edsel....right after another poster talked about his new Savage rifle that was consistently shooting 0.3" groups at 200 yards.

Arborman: You need to add your expertise to the post on Page 2 - the one about the newcomer seeking advice. Its probably lacking some needed information. Please keep in mind I'm not telling you what you need to respond to or not, or how often - just a suggestion.

Well, time to go try to solve some real problems in life that might really matter - like getting new tires for my wife's SUV.

TTFN - BCB

It's a great thread, but if you glean thru the posts, you'll see there's only about three of us that actually answered the question, the rest is same old sneering of the HMR, but guys that have never shot a coyote with one.
The answer to the original question is this: If the choice is between a 22LR(or maggie for that matter) and the 17 HMR, the 17 is the much better cartridge to use....period.

Back