Decoy dogs and Javelina

Folks,
I have a young rescue dog that is a Catahoula mix that I have been training to eventually become a decoy dog. My question and concern is the areas I hunt, have a sizable number of Javelina herds that reside in the same area. Most of the times I see them in groups of 6-10. Will these Javelina be a threat to the dog? Usually when the Javelina are roaming the coyotes are no where to be found so I usually just pack it in and move to another area. I'm trying to avoid placing this young dog into a no win situation. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks
Kevin

This is Saraphina Blue or Phina as she was named be the previous owners.

Good looking dog!
Not sure how hard javelinas are on a dog, but if she likes the javvies too much, send her to Georgia and we'll make a hog dog out of her.

Yes, Javalina can make short work of a dog.

Collared-Peccary-Larry-Ditto-70K1978.jpg

We don't have them here in kansas. But after watching that video it always blows my mind how tough dogs really are. Them dogs are tore up and act like it's no big deal. If I had one of them wounds on me I would be cryin for mamma
scared.gif

I wouldn't recommend Decoy dogs for Javelina!

Let alone a decoy dog!

Javelina have the largest Canine teeth of all mammals in North America, and, they are razor sharp!

Thank you very much to all that responded! I had a feeling these guys could be bad news on a dog. They have never scattered too far when I do run across them. The lead male usually circles and is snapping his jaws like a bear. Since a lot of the areas I hunt is thick with brush it would be difficult to keep an eye out for the dog and Javelina at all times.
I just hope they are as plentiful when the fall season opens this year!

Here's a cleaned up skull of a Javelina I found while out hunting. Those canines are huge!

Thanks again for all your input
Kevin

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5194Thank you very much to all that responded! I had a feeling these guys could be bad news on a dog. They have never scattered too far when I do run across them. The lead male usually circles and is snapping his jaws like a bear. Since a lot of the areas I hunt is thick with brush it would be difficult to keep an eye out for the dog and Javelina at all times.
I just hope they are as plentiful when the fall season opens this year!

Here's a cleaned up skull of a Javelina I found while out hunting. Those canines are huge!

Thanks again for all your input
Kevin

Is your dog Snake broken??

Mr. P according to the previous owner she was snake trained. Any snakes we see here on the property are usually killed by my Jack Russell. I don't know where or how he learned how to kill them. but I've seen him do it twice now. He waits for them to take off so he can grab them by the tail and repeatedly slam them to the ground...........

Kevin

Originally Posted By: 5194Mr. P according to the previous owner she was snake trained. Any snakes we see here on the property are usually killed by my Jack Russell. I don't know where or how he learned how to kill them. but I've seen him do it twice now. He waits for them to take off so he can grab them by the tail and repeatedly slam them to the ground...........

Kevin

NICE!

Back