Spring Beaver Trapping

BeaverKiller

I went out to move my traps to another pond tonight and had a pleasant surprise in finding two decently sized beavers in my 330s. We relocated to another pond on the property and getting to it, found sign of them everywhere. I even missed a shot on a nice sized beaver. Afterwards I made all of my sets, and was about to leave when I saw a beaver swimming about 35 yards away. We played the waiting game for about 15 minutes and I finally made a shot. Clean through a nice 50ish pound female. So three in the bag for this Minnesota boy! Couldnt be happier and am hopeful of how many tomorrow brings. Is anyone else having a decent spring of trapping(except for prices!)?

Can't beat a day like that! What did you shoot it with if I may ask? We can't shoot beaver here in Kansas....makes no sense but whatever. Season was over a month ago for us....sucks!

Many fond memories of spring beaver camps in northern MN. I would camp for a week or two and river trap many miles of them by canoe or power canoe. Lived on beaver fried liver, onions and eggs for breakfast, beaver jerkey(made in camp over the fire) in the canoe for lunch and beaver stew for dinner. When we filled all the hoops and boards we'd tack the out on big poplars to dry. We weren't allowed to shoot them in open water then.

I used snares mostly as 330 were to bulky to pack, I had a number of Herter's #4 coils that were great beaver trap.

We'd stay in the area until the beaver started getting bit up too badly, and then move farther north following the open water. We'd start in Elbow Lake and work our way all the way up to ORR.

Last edited:
That sounds like a blast. There are many small ponds around my place, so i can get to them with 330s. Just caught another one today ! Which elbow lake are you referring to?

I got this beaver last weekend...

unnamed_zpsb381e8db.jpg

I don't have a lot of experience with Beaver but I'm looking to learn.

Last edited:
Back