A coyote hating Badger

tugboater

I went out last week early in the morning to make a few stands on a farm. On my second set Im going through my routine and the call starts playing pup dis. I scanning the wide open that has some sparse sage brush. I spot movement at about 400 yards. It's a big old badger, coming right in to open a can of whoop azz! That sucker got within forty yards of me and I stood up, it then realized I wasn't a yote pup. And lit out to about 190 yards and stoped to look at me again. Has any body ever seen this happen? I don't think that fellow liked coyotes much:)

Coyotes and Badgers often hunt in tandem, I've got footage (some from about 5 years ago, some from 2 years ago) of the two hunting together... Often prairie dog towns, the coyote will wait at an exit hole, crouched and ready, and the badger will enter the entrance, flushing out the prey to the waiting killer... It's great experience to witness...
What's even neater is, a few years ago we were filming, and we were watching the badger go down and the coyote continuously move to different holes, when we started calling, the badger literally detoured the coyote from committing to our tactics... what I would call and inseparable team...
I wouldn't say your badger was coming to kill and eat the pup... He may have been looking for his friend though.

last winter I had a big male badger come in to Bay Bee cottontail. i started that stand off with coyote vocals. there was no doubt he was charging my call. don't know how much he weighed but he was big enough that the taxidermist only had one form that will fit him. I will post pics when I get him back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skinneyCoyotes and Badgers often hunt in tandem, I've got footage (some from about 5 years ago, some from 2 years ago) of the two hunting together... Often prairie dog towns, the coyote will wait at an exit hole, crouched and ready, and the badger will enter the entrance, flushing out the prey to the waiting killer... It's great experience to witness...
What's even neater is, a few years ago we were filming, and we were watching the badger go down and the coyote continuously move to different holes, when we started calling, the badger literally detoured the coyote from committing to our tactics... what I would call and inseparable team...
I wouldn't say your badger was coming to kill and eat the pup... He may have been looking for his friend though.

That's great Skinney! It was crazy!

My buddy doubled up on a coyote and badger while antelope hunting doing exactly that Skinney. Badger was digging, coyotes was laying in wait. The repeated this several times and coved nearly 500 yards in tandem. The kicker was that there was herd of speed goats there also and it came down to shooting a decent buck or thumping the yote and badger..........as already stated we couldn't pass up the hunting buddies.

Back