Night Hunting Rig for Coyotes and Hogs but a Question

LDhunter

Ok... I've about worn out my eyes reading about NV scopes, suppressed AR's, ballistics, techniques, and night hunting in general and I have a question.

How come when I watch all these night hunts on YouTube, do I see all the animals that weren't shot running off when the shot is fired from a suppressed rifle?

I mean... Isn't that the main reason we buy suppressors? Don't we want to be able to harvest multiple animals and keep from educating the survivors?

I know that sometimes they aren't scared off for as long after a suppressed shot as a totally unsuppressed shot but I was hoping for that dumb look conveying "what happened to Fred?" as they stood there presenting themselves as targets for more fun.
wink.gif

I had hoped the hogs and coyotes would stand around wondering what happened rather than running off like they do with a non-suppressed shot.

Talk to me like I'm a 6yr old guys... What should I really expect to happen after a suppressed shot at night at hogs? Coyotes?

Thanks,
$bob$

LDhunter,

You may have a misconception about what suppressed is. most likely thanks to Hollywood. A suppressed rifle does not mean "silenced" even though we many times inappropriately say the rifle has a "silencer." Suppressed means the sound is lower, not yielding the loud boom or crack that an unsuppressed rifle makes.

The only hunting I have done with a suppressed rifle was in Namibia while hunting jackal, warthog and springbuck. I used three rifles that were suppressed, a .22 Hornet, .223 and a .308. All were considerably quieter, but none were "silenced." Even the .308 was suppressed to the point that I didn't need hearing protection. The sound was considerably less and tolerable.

So, in answering your question, a suppressed rifle still makes a sound. We all know that hogs and coyotes will many times run from the slightest noise, even the sound of a broken twig. A suppressed high-powered rifle (for the most part) will sound considerably louder than a broken twig. It still has a distinct sound, just not as loud as unsuppressed.

Once I got my can on it has never come off for several reasons,

1. is it has improved the accuracy on all my guns. 2. no need for hearing protection (for the most part I know by OSHA standards you still need protection on any center fire), not blowing my partners ears out or having mine blown out by my partner is a plus 3. and the biggest advantage I see is I can hear my hits, pretty distinct sound of metal on meat that can't be heard over the Boom. this is a big advantage when shooting at night over a long range 200+ yards if I hear a crack its a miss and no need to do recovery, Thump or whoop and I'm looking. 4. game has a harder time locating the source of the sound and some times will run towards you, seen this many times with hogs and coyotes when there is heavy brush or trees as a back drop for the sound to bounce off of. 5. lets me make my stands closer together without running every gun shy critter off to the next county. I have shot hogs in one pasture and driven 1/4 mile and shot another group

guys I know that hunt cans never go back to shooting without. I have played with subsonic and play was about all it was, not impressed with anything under 1000fps for killing unless it under 10 yards, shot a few hogs with suppressed 300blkout one drt at 50 yards other hogs only went a few feet, two hits at 75-100 might as well have used my 45 auto both let out a squeal and sent the herd running in all directions

I know guys that bring a suppressed 22lr on deer stands to pop coons off the feeders and not alert the deer in the area and it works pretty well for them,

this has been my experience in the last few years your mileage may very
one other note I passed on a quick disconnect as I'm never in a hurry to make more noise

The suppressor also helps followup shots, with some shooting sticks you can stay on target better.
No large fireball to alert the critters. No large blast wave from the muzzle. The supersonic crack emitted from the bullet breaking the speed of sound is being produced constantly while the bullet is supersonic. So the critters will hear the sound, but can't tell the source. If there is something for the sound to bounce off, they will think its coming from that direction. Makes a big difference when they don't know which way to run for multiple shots in an open area. The lower the bullet to the ground the less noise it appears to make from what I have experienced. I only hunt with the can attached, its nice to fire a bullet and hear the impact.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys... You're making this quick and easy for me to get up to speed... I guess I still want a suppressor but it's probably not an urgent priority.

Another Predator Master is going to come hunt with me in a week or two and bring some different kinds of night vision stuff along with a suppressed rifle and that should help me make a decision even better but I DO have an idea where I'm headed now.
smile.gif

$bob$

Here's an example of suppressed shots in Africa while jackal hunting.
The shots came from a combination of 22 Hornet, 223 and 308.
All had cans and will give you an idea of the sound.

Warthog hunt with suppressed .308 Win.

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneOnce I got my can on it has never come off for several reasons,

1. is it has improved the accuracy on all my guns. 2. no need for hearing protection (for the most part I know by OSHA standards you still need protection on any center fire), not blowing my partners ears out or having mine blown out by my partner is a plus 3. and the biggest advantage I see is I can hear my hits, pretty distinct sound of metal on meat that can't be heard over the Boom. this is a big advantage when shooting at night over a long range 200+ yards if I hear a crack its a miss and no need to do recovery, Thump or whoop and I'm looking. 4. game has a harder time locating the source of the sound and some times will run towards you, seen this many times with hogs and coyotes when there is heavy brush or trees as a back drop for the sound to bounce off of. 5. lets me make my stands closer together without running every gun shy critter off to the next county. I have shot hogs in one pasture and driven 1/4 mile and shot another group

guys I know that hunt cans never go back to shooting without. I have played with subsonic and play was about all it was, not impressed with anything under 1000fps for killing unless it under 10 yards, shot a few hogs with suppressed 300blkout one drt at 50 yards other hogs only went a few feet, two hits at 75-100 might as well have used my 45 auto both let out a squeal and sent the herd running in all directions

I know guys that bring a suppressed 22lr on deer stands to pop coons off the feeders and not alert the deer in the area and it works pretty well for them,

this has been my experience in the last few years your mileage may very
one other note I passed on a quick disconnect as I'm never in a hurry to make more noise

Well said Phil. I got my first can when my daughter was 9. Before I got it she was so scared to shoot center fire because of the blast and concussion. Now, with the can, she can't wait her turn at the steel with the .308. Supersonics Sound quieter than an Unsuppressed .22lr and the can removes at least half of the recoil. Subs are fun on steel but like Phil I don't use them to hunt (except for the occasional unlucky coon off the feeder during deer season.....but I use the .308:)).

Beware....once you go suppressed most never go back and end up with multiple cans. I have 5 now!

I've learned a lot from the guys on the forum here....but it has cost me thousands in suppressors, i2, thermal, SBRs....money well spent in my opinion!!:)

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Here's an example of suppressed shots in Africa while jackal hunting.
The shots came from a combination of 22 Hornet, 223 and 308.
All had cans and will give you an idea of the sound.

Warthog hunt with suppressed .308 Win.

David,

I just got around to watching your videos... Didn't realize you had been to Africa... Nice... One of my dream hunts...
wink.gif

$bob$

It's largely about not being heard by the general public around here. Trying to stay "under the radar" and not drawing attention from antis.

OK... I am moving closer to a decision and need something clarified.

First I'll say that I thought a can was caliber specific but as I read about people using cans I also hear mention of them using the same can for, as an example, 223 and 308 calibers.

Is this optimal? I don't like to Jerry rig anything related to firearms. I like the best equipment I can afford and to have everything matching properly and I usually stick to properly matched equipment.

So here's my actual question. If I get a suppressor for, as an example, a 300 Blackout (upper on my AR), can that same can be used on a 223 such as my 16" Bushmaster with heavy fluted barrel?

What is the downside for using one suppressor for several rifles/calibers/chamberings?

$bob$

The .308 can will work on the .223. The threads are different so an adapter needs to be used. If you get a can with a QD mount then one mount with the proper threads mounted on each rifle, the can would interchange quickly between rifles. The larger the bore clearance the slightly more noise escapes but it will still reduce the blast and fireball greatly. The issues are POI shift with/without suppressor. So if you shoot the rifle without the suppressor you may have a shift in the POI and vice versa. If I had only one suppressor, I would go with the .308 for the blackout and use it for the .223 when I am not using it on the blkout. Keep in mind you have high power .308 and blkout .308 same caliber but different pressures. A can made for the blkout .308 may not handle the 7.62x54 or the 7.62x51 NATO, but a can made for the highpower .308 will handle the blk and .223 and lower power cartridges no problem. It's all about the gas pressure that is delayed and dissipated. I guess it depends on how much you use the rifle suppressed, shooting with the can makes shooting much more enjoyable for me. I do all my hog shooting at night and it keeps me from waking up the farmers in the area. All they see is the piles of guts left behind the next day, unless the yotes get to it before they get to see it.

Last edited:
I have a hunter town arms can in 308 and one in 223 they give you the option of changing the thread insert from 1/2x28 typical 223 to 5/8x24 typical 308 thread or a blank that can be threaded to what ever size you need.

if I could only have one can it would be a 308 I have shot it on my 223 and the tone was different but I don't think the DB was any louder. the only draw back is the 308 is 2" longer and heavier.
Now my thoughts on QD mounts are I'm never is a hurry to make more noise and I'm not ridding around in a chopper or other limited spaces so why need a QD? it doesn't take long to thread on a can and I have seen very little point of impact shift with thread on cans verses a QD

just my .2

Wow.... There is so much to know... It sounds like I need to get a 308 can so I can use it on my 308, 300 Blackout, and my 223 AR and either have them all threaded the same or get the adaptors.

Hmmmmm....

What should I be paying for a can? I have no intention of ever firing fast enough to need one for a machine gun type rating.

Also if I just get the one can for all three rifles then I only need one stamp too... Right?

Originally Posted By: LDhunterWow.... There is so much to know... It sounds like I need to get a 308 can so I can use it on my 308, 300 Blackout, and my 223 AR and either have them all threaded the same or get the adaptors.

Hmmmmm....

What should I be paying for a can? I have no intention of ever firing fast enough to need one for a machine gun type rating.

Also if I just get the one can for all three rifles then I only need one stamp too... Right?

Every suppressor has a serial number just like a firearm. The stamp will be for that specific serial number.

I use the same QD type 762 suppressor on all my rifles. 223, 6.8SPC, 300 BLK, and 308. Each rifle has a QD flash hider for the can so I can easily mount it on each one and take it off when I am not using it. You can order a flash hider for whatever thread your barrel has. Just keep in mind that the suppressor has to be at least the same caliber of the rifle or LARGER.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/YHM_Phan...m762qdmount.htm

The only downside is that you lose a small amount of net sound suppression by running a larger caliber can on a smaller caliber rifle since some gas and is escaping because of the larger diameter. I would say for hunting it is negligible and certainly not worth trying to purchase a caliber specific suppressor for each rifle.

I use the YHM 762 QD Titanium. It does the job and is light. There are lots of choices.

http://www.silencershop.com

Last edited:
This may seem like a stupid question but I'm a complete newbie to cans... What is the minimum barrel diameter at the muzzle for my rifles to be fitted with a can?

The 308 has a fat barrel and the 223 has a 16 inch "heavy fluted varminter" barrel with no threads up front.

Don't have the 300BLK upper yet... Still looking... Prices are all over the place and very confusing to me.

$bob$

If you want to get that stupid "what just happened" look, get away from powder burners and go air power with a can. The down side, you only have two or three shots. I once shot five coons out from under my feeder before they got spooked using a 130fpe 25-auto caliber. Shots between the eyes or between the ear and eye take out hogs in their tracks out to 75 yards. Here is a pic of my rifle
WP_000736_zps2c36ff13.jpg

Powder Burners are cheaper and more effective but a 550fpe airgun is just cool. Check this one out Extreme Big Bore Air Rifles

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06

You may have a misconception about what suppressed is. most likely thanks to Hollywood. A suppressed rifle does not mean "silenced" even though we many times inappropriately say the rifle has a "silencer." Suppressed means the sound is lower, not yielding the loud boom or crack that an unsuppressed rifle makes.

Spot on. THis video is a suppressed .308 but you would never know.

Back