Cleaning Rods???

I guess I've probably tried them all and Pro Shot is my favorite over any of them. I've broke my share of the Carbon Fiber rods in 17 and 20 cal. I've bent at least 3 Dewey rods in 17 caliber. So far I have not bent any of the Pro Shot rods and like CG said, those smaller handles are a lot easier to use.
Bore guides are a must if you like your rifle. Dewey 22cal. rods work in rimfires unless you have a CZ. Their bores are smaller in diameter and 22 cal. rods won't work very well in them.

http://www.cabelas.com/cleaning-kits-accessories-pro-shot-premium-coated-pistol-rifle-cleaning-rod.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=1168732&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=E5FDE1AA-933C-E011-B97A-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

This one is a little more but id rather just buy one than break a carbon fiber one and have to buy this afterwards!

Dont have a bore guide.. gonna have to do my hw on that one.

The jury is still out on carbon. I've seen what carbon arrows do to a TM arrow rest, eat it up after a few shots. Carbon fiber will shine up steel if you rub it over it.

I still use Dewey rods.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesI still use Dewey rods.

The Deweys are all I've used for years.
A bore guide is a neat thing to have too.

If anybody's got a CZ rimfire rifle, you can punch the spent primer out of a 20 gauge shotgun hull and cut off about 1/2 of the plastic and you got the neatest little bore guide you ever saw. The hull fits perfectly in the receiver opening, and the Dewey rod is a good snug fit through the primer hole.
thumbup1.gif

Oh Great. I wish I had read this thread first before ordering some new Dewey Cleaning Rods. I went with the 32" long 20 cal rod that's coated.

After I ordered these new rods a few days ago I started doing more research on cleaning AR15s. Now it seems that some guys are saying that the coating can become contaminated with fine particles or metal and the embedded contaminates scratch the inside of the barrels metal groove and lands. Oh Well, I can always send it back or just buy another rod.

I was at the gun store the other night and saw some Pro Shot 20 cal - 36" long - steel type cleaning rods with ball barrel handles. Maybe I should have got that Pro Shot instead? Hummm.

The other train of thought is that if you use the coated rods they won't scratch the barrel as it's plastic against steel and the steel is harder than the nylon plastic on the coated rod.

But, I guess they didn't figure that the plastic would have grit embed into it and make it harder.

That's similar to the story above about the piston rings getting contaminated and wearing the steel pistons out. I would have not thought about that. I would have thought that the softer metal of the rings would have worn out before the harder steel surfaces of the pistons. I'm learning new stuff every day.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: blopez50Looks like a trip to sportsmans is in order... Im limited to their selection. I could order online but I just dont see that shipping going real well....

Think something like this will work?
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sport...03447/cat100064

OR this one?
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sport...05899/cat100064

Of those two personally I would take the carbon fiber rod. I'm not a big fan of the nylon coated rods. That nylon coating can also embed grit and grind it into the bore. Also in the case of a .22 rimfire the .22 caliber Dewey rod I had was too large for the bore and shaved nylon off the rod unless you had it very exactly and tightly centered. I think after using it once I trashed it for gun cleaning.

Last edited:
Just keep them clean and they will be fine.

I have coated, one piece English Parker Hale rods that I bought 50 years ago, and they work perfectly.

Find yourself some Pro-Shot one piece rods of the proper length and you will have no problem..They have great ball bearing handles that don't take up a lot of clearance, are proper sized for the specific caliber, wipe down easily, and come with a great protective sheath for non-use storage/transportation...

How do you like your Dewey Rods? I have two of them on order now and should get them in the next day or two. I've never used them before.

I was looking for some Parker Hale type Jags. The type you wrap the patch around and the diamond shaped things hold the cotton patch on the jag. Not the type that you run the jag though the patch or the type where there is a lot in the jag to push the cotton patch though.

I watched a video by Ryan Cleckner and he said he likes to use the Parker/Hale type jags as they use more surface area to clean the inside of the barrel. That made sense to me. I'd never heard of the Parker/Hale type jags before. Not that I can remember anyway.

So I ordered a few of them. They cost about $4 plus shipping. But I got some other things too so the shipping was not really a factor

I got to use one of the Jags on my once piece coated Winchester .17 cal cleaning rod. It is the only one piece rod that I have right now. All my other rods are aluminum 3 piece that are screwed together. I've used these multi section rods all my life. Well since I was around 15 and started shooting 22 cal rifles and shotguns. I didn't have anyone in the family that hunted. My father was a fisherman but didn't hunt or shoot guns. All the neighbor kids in the area hunted and their fathers took them hunting and taught them the ropes. I had to learn on my own. I guess I'm still learning.

I've cleaned my Rem 660 in 222 cal with a multi piece cleaning rod from Hoppes for years. I must say it still shoots pretty good. But then again I've not used it very much over all these years. It's probably only been used about 10 to 15 times in my life. Most of those times were short sessions at the farm using less than a box of shells each time.

One time I took it to the range up near West Lafayette, IN where I was at school. But I never really got to use it to hunt anything other than some muskrats at the lake on the farm. So I probably only cleaned that barrel maybe 10 times at the most.

I did noticed that using the Parker/Hale type jag the patch went though the barrel much smoother than when I used a slotted type jag. It was much harder to push the slotted jag though the barrel with the patch folded back over the jag after putting the folded patch though the slot about 1/3 of the way. Then wrapping the remaining 2/3 of the patch up and over the top of the slot on the jag. A long time ago I just folded the patch in half and then stuck it halfway though the slot and then used it that way. That way it went though the barrel pretty easy. But if you fold the patch over the top of the slotted jag it's a lot tighter going down the barrel.

I think I'm going to like the Parker/Hale jags a lot better. The only thing that I worry about is the dry patches sticking to the jag. I think I may have the wrong sized patch. Mine are too big right now. They cover too much of the jag. And my little 22 cal patches are too small to cover the entire part for of the jag that's suppose to hold the cloth or patch. So I just trim a little bit of the patch off the larger patches and I'm good to go.

BTW: I'm using shooters choice. It has an ammonia smell to it though. Not sure I like that. Perhaps I got the wrong type of Shooter Choice? I suspect that there are more than one type of Shooters Choice Cleaning Solution. Ryan said that he used Shooter's Choice and leave it inside the barrel after he is done cleaning his sniper rifle. He uses a 308 cal rifle. So I clean the shooter's choice out with a dry patch and then run a oiled patch down the barrel to keep the inside from rusting. That's what I've done with all my rifles for the last 40 years. I always run a patch with some light weight oil on them before I put my guns away. I don't go shooting that much to leave them dry. Maybe that's why my first shots are all low on the target when the rest of the shots are right on the mark. humm. Maybe I should clean out the oil before I start to shoot the next time????? Or does it matter that much?

The main reason I got on here was to ask about the Parker/hale type jags. Any one else use them and like them or not? Any comments on the Parker/hale type jags? I figure if a Army or Marine Sniper and Sniper Instructor likes them then they must be good. Check out the Ryan Cleckner videos on the National Shooting Sports Foundation U tube site.

Ryan also said he used Sweets Copper Solvent but does not leave that inside the barrel longer than 5 min. That's definaatly ammonia based solvent and will ruin your barrel if you leave it in there too long. He used that to get the copper out of the land and grooves inside the rifle barrel. Evidently the copper on the bullets gets in there and has to be dissolved to remove.

I noticed when I was using the shooter's Choice solvent and brass brushes that all my patches were coming out Green. Then I read or saw on a video that the solvent might be leaching copper off the brass brush and leaving that inside the barrel. So when I ran a new clean patch down the barrel following the brush scrubbing then new patch would pick up the copper and turn green. Heck I clean and clean the barrel 10 time and never did get the patchs to come out white. They were all green to some extent. At least I got the carbon out of the barrel. I'm pretty sure this was my Rem Model 660 222 that this happened on. I've never used Shooter's Choice before so this was all new to me.

Ryan gave me a good tip. He puts his patches inside a small glass jar and then pours the shooter's choice over his brush and then lets the excess fall off into the jar with the patches. This way the patches are pre soaked with the shooter's choice and ready to go when he's ready to clean his rifle. I used a small baby food jar with a tight fitting lid. If I get too much shooter's choice inside the patch jar I can simply pour some of it back into the shooter's choice jar. The patches are clean so I don't think that will harm the shooter's choice solution. It's all good. I leave a pair of tweezers inside the jar to help get the wet patches out of the jar. I did the same thing with my Hoppes #9 cleaning solution. It beats having to put the patch in the jag and dipping the whole thing into the Hoppes #9 jar of cleaning solution. I use to dip the brush into the jar of Hoppes and that surely left some residue in the jar of solution. I guess I should figure out a good way to clean the bronze metal brushes too. I've got some nylon brushes that I'm using now. Thank god I did that. I got a new bore guide for my Rem Model 660 and the Winchester Cleaning rod was too short. When I put the nylon brush on the rod and tried to use the new bore guide for the first time I learned that the rod was too short. I could not get the brush all the way out of the end of the barrel before I ran into the end of the bore guide. Since I was using the nylon brush I could reverse the brush inside the barrel without doing any real damage to the barrel. If that had been a metal brush I might have not been able to reverse the brush inside the barrel and get the rod out of the barrel. That rifle would look pretty funny if I could not get the rod and bore guide out of it!!!!!
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesThe jury is still out on carbon. I've seen what carbon arrows do to a TM arrow rest, eat it up after a few shots. Carbon fiber will shine up steel if you rub it over it.

I still use Dewey rods.

Last edited:
I've a collection of Deweys and have no complaints. As for the bending and or breaking of any rod, well I can't imagine that. Good patches works the best and plenty of them.

Originally Posted By: Yukon21I've a collection of Deweys and have no complaints. As for the bending and or breaking of any rod, well I can't imagine that. Good patches works the best and plenty of them.

I am guessing the reason you cannot imagine it is you have not used a Dewey 17 caliber cleaning rod.
lol.gif
Seriously they do bend pretty easy when they are that small in diameter.

No, your right I don't have 17 caliber, but if I'm ever inclined to I will take your advice and not get a dewey for the 17. As for now a 17 is not in the plans. Thanks anyway.

Back