Attention 308 shooters

Jhedges

I am currently searching for a good starting point for range, and hunting loads for my .308. I have some loads worked up for my .223 but I would like to get some for my .308.

The gun is a 700 with a Pac Nor 1 in 9 3 Groove barrel in #6 contour. I have all federal brass to start with, and will upgrade to Lapua or Norma after a few loads. I currently just have 175 Sierras, for range loads, and Im unsure on a hunting bullet that I would like to load.

As for powder, I understand its pretty scarce, so all I have is Varget and H335.

Now my question, what loads are successful with you .308 shooters? What bullet do you prefer for hunting? Ive been thinking of Berger 175s but just need input.

Thank you for all the help and recommendations.

I've been very happy with 165 gr sierra gameking hpbt for both paper punching and deer hunting. Performance on game is very good with the longest tracking job being about 20 yards. I use imr 4064 for my reloads.

I shoot 168 a-max and bergers over 46 grains of crack... uh I mean Varget.
smile.gif

Work up to that with your weapon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI shoot 168 a-max and bergers over 36 grains of crack... uh I mean Varget.
smile.gif

Husker...what kinda velocities do you get out of that. Seems like you could push it alot harder.

Varget well work good, I also used 4064 and am currently using r15. Well post my load data a little later from home

Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelOriginally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI shoot 168 a-max and bergers over 36 grains of crack... uh I mean Varget.
smile.gif

Husker...what kinda velocities do you get out of that. Seems like you could push it alot harder.

2795 average. sorry that is 46 not 36.
smile.gif

Back