Broken press

Originally Posted By: DAB

Maybe get a Lee primer seating tool.
w00t.gif
no way in [beeep] am I going to buy Lee products.

Actually the old style Lee priming tool with the round tray is really good. The new one with the square tray...... Not so much.

I also think their factory crimp dies are well made. My limited experiments didn't show that they helped any with my rifles & loads, but they seem good quality & work.

Frankly the best customer service is the one you don't have to use, secondly Rcbs, Hornady, and Ruger are all about the best IME.

If I had a Lee press, I would use it instead of throwing it in the trash. If I had a broken Lee press, I would replace it with an RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Dillon, etc. unless Lee would replace it at no charge. IMHO, the Lee presses are a "starter press" and built for a price point.

I like their dies and have had excellent results and service when I needed a couple of replacement parts. Lee shipped them quickly and at no charge.

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherFriday night with 9 pieces of brass left to go, my Lee press broke. I feel lost without a functioning press on the bench. I called Lee and they said if it is newer than 2 years they will replace it and if it is older, they will sell a new one at 50% off. The press is 10-11 years old and has loaded all my ammo in that time period. Now the big question, fix/replace the Lee or buy a Rock Chucker???

What would you do?

Now is your best chance to up grade to a really good press.

Get a Forster CO/AX press and you will be Happy, Happy, Happy.

Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: wisconsinteacherFriday night with 9 pieces of brass left to go, my Lee press broke. I feel lost without a functioning press on the bench. I called Lee and they said if it is newer than 2 years they will replace it and if it is older, they will sell a new one at 50% off. The press is 10-11 years old and has loaded all my ammo in that time period. Now the big question, fix/replace the Lee or buy a Rock Chucker???

What would you do?

I'd second the Co-Ax. I like mine far better than the Rock Chucker I had years ago.

I have two RCBS RS3 press's. I wish I had a dollar for every bullet they have loaded. RCBS and don't look back!!! Heck, I'd settle on a penny.

Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: wisconsinteacherFriday night with 9 pieces of brass left to go, my Lee press broke. I feel lost without a functioning press on the bench. I called Lee and they said if it is newer than 2 years they will replace it and if it is older, they will sell a new one at 50% off. The press is 10-11 years old and has loaded all my ammo in that time period. Now the big question, fix/replace the Lee or buy a Rock Chucker???

What would you do?

I wasn't going to be the first to say it!

If I had a Lee press that broke & would be replaced for free, I'd take the replacement.

That said, it is an opportunity to step up in press and several good options have been mentioned.

If I had to pay to replace it, I'd definitely look at other presses before spending any money.

Go on ebay or Craig's list and get yourself a Rockchucker. I have been using mine since the 60's. Keep the ram clean and lubed and it will not wear out.

Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: wisconsinteacher

What would you do?

Glad that somebody finally let the cat out of the bag!!
thumbup1.gif

I have and still use a RCBS JR I bought used in in '75. I have loaded an uncountable number of rounds of ammo with this old press. She still works as well as the day I bought her.

I don't think you could get me to change unless you GAVE me a new progressive. And, then I would probably still use this old RCBS JR to load my rifle ammo.

I don't shoot that much any more so she has a home 'till I die. EVEN if she breaks and is not repairable I can find a spot on a shelf for her.

My wife can throw away that worthless piece of junk after I'm dead and gone. I don't think she will have to throw it away as my son will probably have it by then and I bet it will still be rockin' 'n 'rollin'.

Originally Posted By: str8blkcoffeeI replaced my broken Lee press with a Redding Big Boss II. If I break it I'm doing something wrong.
thumbup1.gif

I've only been reloading for the past 8 or 9 years on a Lee and to date have had zero problems with the press or their dies. I bought a set of Forster dies when I built my 6BR as Lee didn't offer any for the BR. The Forster dies were absolute junk. The seater die left a ring around the end of the bullet and the neck die left really bad scratches on the case. The full size die was ok. I contacted Forster about the problem, sent them back along with $36.00 to pay them for fixing their screwup. Got the dies back, same problem. Fixed them myself but no way in Halifax will I ever buy anything from Forster. They have a nice press and I was about to buy one but their lack of CS cost them a sale. If my Lee press ever breaks I will maybe get an RCBS but so far no complaints about Lee and I've loaded over 10,000 rds with it.

Originally Posted By: TnslimThey have a nice press and I was about to buy one but their lack of CS cost them a sale.

That's a bummer.
You sure missed out on a good press.

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTFor 50% off, I would get the Lee. Even if you do buy RCBS later, it's always nice to have 2 presses set up.

Tom
Definatly nice to have 2 presses.

Originally Posted By: 280GuyOriginally Posted By: MGYSGTFor 50% off, I would get the Lee. Even if you do buy RCBS later, it's always nice to have 2 presses set up.

Tom
Definitely nice to have 2 presses.

If both are RCBS... but what ever they are - they should be the same.

Back