Bead blast or cerakote?

I have a stainless rifle I'd like to blast or coat. I have had a couple bead blasted in the past, the smith I used called it satin finish. It looks good, but I'd still like something darker gray. The color I'm looking for would be similar to Ruger target gray finish.

I know aluminum oxide blast is done in prep for cerakote, but is it a good idea for a finish? Or is a dark gray cerakote my best option?

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerThe aluminum oxide makes a very sharp/ rough finish. It comes out more like a file type finish than a true bead blasting.

So that does sound more like a prep job for a coating than a final finish.

Last edited:
Here's the link

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-px-group-buys/254514-%2462-50-cerakote-special-2.html#post3161661

My vote...is Cerakote...

But then again I am set up to do my own. Have a blast cabinet, good air brush, and oven. I really like the finish Cerakote gives, lots and lots of options. Very tough too.

JP, you're right. I have one other rifle cerakoted graphite black, so far I really like it. Costs a bit, but man did it make that SS rifle look better with the stock it's in. Matches Leupold matte black perfectly.

Last edited:
I did my own Ceracoat job, I had to buy the 120 grit aluminum oxide and I took it to a local shop I called ahead and asked if they would do the job. I had them blast a Savage action and a 30" barrel. I took the bolt and action all apart and taped off the threads of the barrel and plugged the ends with some high temp rubber plugs.

I had a cheap air brush that did the job and an oven that just barelly fit a 30" barrel hung all cockeyed. I hung everything with some welding wire and cooked the parts and everything turned out great.

Back