Hornady Match 308 . Was I surprised?!

spotshot

I bought a box of Hornady 308 168 gr Amax to try in my new 308. Never had one before so I was buyin factory loads for brass and testing bullets. The rifle was shooting my reloads on average .5 - .75 with anything. Not the Hornady Match. I had a pretty good crush closing the bolt on these rounds. Groups went to 3-4 " . The case COAL ran from 2.798- 2.812. The brass ran from 2.05 to 2.012 . No big deal I'll just pull the bullets, resize , trim and prime. Use the bullets for test loads. Well now I discover I can't get the brass primed. It just won't take it . I don't have a primer pocket uniformer. Im not down on Hornady( except they can't produce a 162 grain amax for some reason)- all guns are different and mine just didn't like the stuff. What can I do to get it primed? I hate to waste brass.

Originally Posted By: Billsaukyou could take your chamfer tool and chamfer the primer pockets. I did that to some 6.8 factory loaded hornady ammo.

Dang good idea!! I did a couple, just a small amount and they are seating fine. Thanks for the help!

Sounds like they were crimped primers. Just goes to show you you can never tell..... I recommended the Federal Gold Match to a friend and he bought Hornady Match instead and they shoot great in his gun.

Originally Posted By: spotshotOriginally Posted By: Billsaukyou could take your chamfer tool and chamfer the primer pockets. I did that to some 6.8 factory loaded hornady ammo.

Dang good idea!! I did a couple, just a small amount and they are seating fine. Thanks for the help!

This is what I do

Back