Quad @ the deer farm

the impactzone

Been hitting the deer farm pretty hard and have not been producing much, a single here and there every 2 weeks or so the guy call today and said he lost two more fawns and is about in tears, I told him I’d hit it again tonight, this time instead of pulling a 10-2am I went out later than normal 1-5AM did over watch in the pasture till 4:30 nothing, calling has not produced in the past inside the game fence so didn’t do any, was leaving and at the gate I remember him telling me the neighbor said shoot any coyote on his property as well.

So I thought what the heck I walked across the street and set up in the shadows and did some pup distress on one of Tony T’s calls, and hit pup distress on a little key chain elc call I had as a novelty on my lanyard. Wasn’t 3 minutes and I had what I thought was a fox not 30 yards away, remembered to hold high for offset and down he went, kept playing the keychain elc pup/rabbit and had another coyote in the thermal at 50 yards in some tall brush , hit him and he let out a good bit of distress and spun for a good while, hit him again and kept scanning picked up another coyote at 100 yards in the open a few minutes later, Hit him and down he went as well with a good bit I distress yips (no more need to calling I think to myself). While scanning I see the one at 50 yards get back up so I hit him again! More distress sounds and flopping I’m starting to question my 60gr V-max and where my hits are?
About 5 minutes later I have another coyote hang up at 200 yards, I try like to squeak him in but he is not having anything to do with it, so I send one his way and hear a hit go to the thermal and see him spinning but can’t make him out in the D760 in the brush and fog rolling in he is in now. And my IR is getting low on power

Give it another 5 minutes and start recovery, didn’t have the dog with me as the guy has been known to put out some wicked fertilizer if you know what I mean. First one is a coyote at 35 yards last years pup male, second coyote is a female at 50 yards again last years pup but big, look 3 yards to the right and find another coyote that I thought was the same one, this one is an older male dead 3 yards away from the second coyote in the grass was tall

Walk out and pick up another female at the one hundred yard mark older dog good size sure it would eat a fawn, looked and looked for the 5th on but no avail, sure if I had the dog with me, but don’t’ want her getting around the fertilizer mixed with ground meat.

My first confirmed quad in the last 12 years with possible 5th one all in less than 10 minutes just out the gate D760 was not a problem at 30 – 50 yards had more problem with the fog coming in and a low battery in the IR

Made up for some long nights sitting over watch on a herd of fawning follow deer this will be good for a trip through hi large garden and maybe some follow streaks this fall

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still pretty jazzed, I hit 5 coyotes on a horse farm one night 12-13 years ago and never had more than 3 on a stand after that. I just talked with the property owner and he said you know Phil I have this old bolt action 250 with a heavy barrel I use to use years ago in the 60's and 70's, would you take that as payment for all the coyotes you have killed for me. I said I sure will/ no telling what it is? but the jester is nice of him

Nice one Phil, three is the most on one stand for me (and we didn't find the third one just saw him spinning). Kevin

That's a great accomplishment, we had a family come in, I shot and missed 'em all.
thumbdown.gif

Phil, you are just having too much fun. It would take me two seasons to collect what you did in one night.

Nice going.

well went by the deer farm to put some steel on the ground at gates where coyote and cats may be coming through and the old guy gave me the rifle, he must have a little dementia as its not a 250 cal or bought in the 60's but a new marlin 17 HMR with a Leopold 3x9 he said the guy at the store told him it was a varmint gun good for coyotes bobcats and coons. I didn't turn it down and appreciated the offer, just don't know what I'll do with a 17hmr? I guess it would make a good turtle gun out to 200. got a friend who is interested in it.

That was one he11 of a stand... I'm sure it will be one you won't forget... Almost like your gun shots where attracting them... I've never had a stand that good...

only had one other as fast and as many, it was on a horse farm that was dropping fowls and had nightly visits in the barn from coyotes. only took 5 bullets to the back hay field, staked my blue heeler out and it 4 minutes I had 5 coyote down with my H&R handy rifle in 223, I had to stand up and shout for fear of the dog getting hurt. this one is right up there

Back