imr 8208 xbr in 22-250

I'm sure the guys will share their knowledge with you but I suggest doing a search on the search engine here also. Good luck.

I used it with 52gr Bergers and it shot great good velocity too.. I am using it in the .308 right now with stellar results as well.

Originally Posted By: cowpokewhat primers are you using?

did you find some primer work better with it than others?

50 grain V-Max is what I've been using, but it drove a variety of 50-55 grain bullets well.

It does not appear to me to be primer sensitive. Federal, Remington, and CCI are what I've used, there has been no noticeable difference.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: cowpokewhat has been folk's experience with imr 8208 xbr in the 22-250 with 50 to 60 grain bullets?

8208 is a accurate powder and works good in the 250 case with 50 to 55gr pills. In my experience 8208 is a bit fast of burn rate for the case and is hard to get the potential from the 22-250 with it. Other powders work better IME. But 8208 will work and work well if you dont push velocity hard. Also the lighter bullets seem to work best for me with 8208.

Ive had some excellent results using 8208 and a 55 gr bullet in the 22-250. It doesn't take much to get some acceptable velocity results and maintain stellar accuracy. Ive been using the reloading data from the IMR reloading data center. I agree with other that have mentioned the primer selection does not make a meaningful difference. I think 8208 is a great powder for the lighter bullets.

Mr O.

the reason I asked about primers is that in my 223, (and I fully realize that one is a small rifle vs large rifle for the 250...)

anyway in the 223 I saw much more consistency in velocity with Rem 7 1/2's and Winchester small rifles than I did with BR4's and fed 205 gm's

and I tried some loads with 8208 using fed 210 gm's with 55 grain sierra 1360's and those groups were not encouraging.

I've been loading it with 50 gr Nosler BT and it's shooting great. If I remember correctly my velocity is just about 3950, and I have gotten a lot of .5" groups out of it.

Originally Posted By: Steve K. Venatic.........Have you used 8208 in the 20Tac?

Steve

Yes I loaded 26.0gr XBR8208 with the 35gr Berger and it shot good staying under .750 with all the groups I shot. Velocity averaged 3743fps. This load did not seem hot at all so there may be room slightly more speed.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: cowpokewhat has been folk's experience with imr 8208 xbr in the 22-250 with 50 to 60 grain bullets?

8208 is a accurate powder and works good in the 250 case with 50 to 55gr pills. In my experience 8208 is a bit fast of burn rate for the case and is hard to get the potential from the 22-250 with it. Other powders work better IME. But 8208 will work and work well if you dont push velocity hard.

This would echo my experience, without exception my best accuracy in the 220-250 with XBR has come with loads that are right on or close to the starting load. The faster I push them, the more the accuracy seems to let up. The best group for my new Savage .22-250 ended up being right at the recommended starting load. Which isn't much of a sacrifice as if I recall correctly the velocity difference between start and max is only 200-some FPS.

I get excellent accuracy with other powders like 3031 and 760, but having a temp stable powder like XBR has some real benefits to me in terms of varmint shooting in the hot months.

XBR also seems to me to be fairly clean burning. Granted this is only a benefit in limited use situations like varmint shooting, but still.

Grouse

Back