16" vs. 20" rifle

jorswift1

Hey all,
I am looking at getting the new Rock River Coyote Upper to slap on my lower. I am having a hard time finding an instock 16" upper, but have found the 20" in the new version for the same price as the 16". I know there isn't any accuracy difference, but velocity and distance. I am not going to be shooting currently past 200 yards. Should I opt for the 20"? just looking for thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

after you see the accuracy that most of these uppers deliver, you might change your mind about shooting past that distance but I certainly see why a lot of guys hunt with 16'' rigs. I have a 20'' and wouldn't change a thing. I don't care about weight because I usually don't have to walk more than 200 yds from the truck. but I will say with some practice you will most likely be very confident in shooting out to 300+ yds. (yuou CAN still do that with a 16'') ....go with what you feel either one will kill

I have both and like them for different reasons. The 20" is way quieter, and is very accurate. I don't mind the weight coyote hunting as I'm usually on a tripod, but if you shoot offhand frequently you may find it muzzle heavy.

The 16 is also accurate, but more carryable. I have a 1-4 optic on it for close in shooting

You could eventually get both. tune up your lower if you want to and just have 2 uppers.

Last edited:
Most of my uppers are 20-22" but one is a 16in. The 20's get carried most of the time. My youngest carries the 16in. The 16in is louder than the 20's but it is almost as accurate. Even out past 200yds. The youngest and I were out shooting yesterday and his 16in has a 1-4x scope on it and he was smashing milk jugs at 300yds without a problem. Now when he got to 400yds that was a different story. He was having to do a little kentucky windage and was 2 for 4 but with the 22in I was not having to hold off near as much and went 3 for 4. If I could find one I would get an 18in and then you don't loose as much and it is not as loud.

I used to have a 16" barreled AR. USED to have. Jumped out of the truck once to pop at a rock chuck. Ow ow ow ow! Dang that hurt! Stupid me for not taking 5 seconds to put my muffs on. What was worse that it actually had a 14" barrel with a welded on 2" muzzle break to make it legal.

My one and only AR-15 now has a 24" barrel and that is so much better. Still need the muffs but it sure is a lot more quiet.

Like others have said, get the 20" if you want it a bit quieter. The 16" will do everything you need it to within the 200yds, and will be easier to carry.

Last edited:
Forget the muzzle devices. All they do is add length to the barrel. If you ordered an 18" barreled upper it will be the same overall length as the 16" with the flash hider. Plus you get the extra velocity of 2" of barrel.

Originally Posted By: R JohnsonForget the muzzle devices. All they do is add length to the barrel. If you ordered an 18" barreled upper it will be the same overall length as the 16" with the flash hider. Plus you get the extra velocity of 2" of barrel.

best advice in this discussion.

Originally Posted By: R JohnsonForget the muzzle devices. All they do is add length to the barrel. If you ordered an 18" barreled upper it will be the same overall length as the 16" with the flash hider. Plus you get the extra velocity of 2" of barrel.

Meh.

Have you ever used a suppressor? Or a linear comp?

Not everyone may want a muzzle device, but there is a reason that the majority of uppers and barrels sold for AR15's are threaded. An 18" barrel will most likely weigh more than a 16" with a flash hider (or most other muzzle devices).

I agree completely. I don't need a flash hider on a hunting rifle.

My truck gun always shot less than 200 yards... 11.5 inch barrel, suppressed... not loud at all.
16 inch gun... not loud at all.. 20 inch gun.. not loud at all. Are you hearing me?
smile.gif

With out a suppressor... well I just don't shoot. It's too loud.

9bc2c758-32ed-4fdc-997b-70eca9d1d46b_zps001258cf.jpg

RRA has a couple of 18" ones. The R3 and the ATH. I have the R3 and really like it. Have one size shorter handguard, SWFA SSALT mount with Nikon M223 3x12 side focus BDC scope. Weighs around 9 3/4 lbs. EXTREMELY accurate.

Originally Posted By: case-nhRRA has a couple of 18" ones. The R3 and the ATH. I have the R3 and really like it. Have one size shorter handguard, SWFA SSALT mount with Nikon M223 3x12 side focus BDC scope. Weighs around 9 3/4 lbs. EXTREMELY accurate.

I like the thought of the R3, but I thought that with it being stainless, even beadblasted, it would reflect and scare away predators? Any thoughts or experience?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: R JohnsonForget the muzzle devices. All they do is add length to the barrel. If you ordered an 18" barreled upper it will be the same overall length as the 16" with the flash hider. Plus you get the extra velocity of 2" of barrel.

best advice in this discussion.
+1

jorswift1,

Buy the rifle of your choice and don't worry about glare/spooking in coming coyotes. Simply wrap the barrel/handrail with some McNett camo wrap.

I have the RRA ATH (18" barrel with no muzzle break) that I wrap with one of two different sets. If it's white outside, I throw the snow camo on, if it's brown the rifle gets the brush camo. This stuff is about $15, washable and self adhesive (won't leave sticky stuff on your gun). It's very versatile - give it a try, you will like it.

BTW - I prefer 18-20" barrel as well....

My kid has a 20" Coyote, sweet accurate gun, My 20" Predator Pursuit is I think a little more accurate. I have not seen a Rock River that was bad, Buy what ever YOU like. Good Luck----Riflemann

Back