Reloading Wolf "Brass" cases

SodakJim

A good friend gave me 100 Wolf brass cases he found at the local range. I could not find much posted on these cases on PM, so here goes. I had no experience with the brass cases from Wolf, but here is what I found.

The head stamp is WOLF 223 REM. The primers are crimped, bullet crimp marks on the neck were almost non-existent. The cases seem well made with only minor punch burrs on the primer holes inside the cases. Flash holes seem uniform and well centered. All things considered, they are very re-loadable. I have no info on the original load or packaging, but feel free to chime in with any info you may know about these casings. I suspect they were used in Wolf Gold Performance Ammo.

The cases all had the signature shell deflector minor dents from being fired in and AR-15. The cases did not require full length resizing to fit in my Remington 700 VLS, so they were just sized in my competition Hornady bushing type neck sizing die. I unformed the primer pockets, removed the crimps, timmed to 1.750, chamfered and de-burred the necks, and removed the flash-hole burrs. It's not often that I get range pickup cases that don't need to be full length resized. They were loaded with Hornady 53 grain V-Max, 25.6 grains of Benchmark, CCI BR-4 primers, to a nominal 2.270 COAL that seem to work very nicely in this rifle. They would be about .010 longer than what would easily fit in an AR-15 magazine. Primer pockets are bit tighter than most military spec brass I have used before.

I'll try to post a followup range report when the weather and conditions permit. The mosquitoes are really bad at the range lately, and the West Nile virus is known to exist in this area.

It will be interesting to see how the cases hold up. The wolf primers have a following, maybe the brass is just as good. Oh and buy a thermacell for the skeeters.

Well it was a typical South Dakota Day at the local range. Wind gusting from 15-20 mph and intermittent T-Storms.

In spite of all that, the results were typical for this rifle and load. This 5 shot group measured .202 with the best group at .180 and the worst at .220 inches. The POI was a bit lower than the 55 grain V-max, but I did not bother to correct for that. I couldn't see any difference with the WOLF brass compared to the LC and Win brass I normally use. Time will tell how well the Wolf brass holds up. Since I only neck size, that could be quite a while. I often get over 20 re-loadings before the primer pockets get too loose when I neck size only.

If you come across some of the Wolf brass in 223 Rem, you can feel free to send it to me for further testing.

This modified Rem 700 VLS is turning out to be one of my all-time favorite varmint rifles.

Yep the Wolf Gold brass cased .223 is gtg initially and as a source of reloadable brass ime. The crimped primer is the only drawback-nice ammo and brass and it is made in Taiwan.

Back