Which red dot for ar?

larr

I need some opinions on which red dot for my ar. I will be shooting out to the max 150 yds. It will be used for red fox and similar sized varmints plus home defense. I'm looking at eotech 517 but need someone who uses a red dot to school me on which one based on experience.

If a red dot is your primary sight an Eotech with a flip to side magnifier is the way to go.

Some will recommend Aimpoint as well, but you really can't go wrong with an Eotech. The FTS magnifier will get you to 150 if your eyes are decent.

I've used that set up before and had the two dot version, which will get you past that yardage....again if your eyes are decent.

If the red dot is your secondary optic (using a Warne RAMP mount for example), then get a Burris FastFire. The new version of the Leupold Deltapoint in 3.5MOA dot would work for a secondary as well and has the very nice feature of having a motion activated on/off switch.

Sendit

Had an eotech 512 with a FTS 3x mag on one of the 16in ar's and while it was cool and did ok for informal shooting it was minute of paper plate beyond 100yds. But it was fun. Last year I switched it out to a 1-4x burris xtr and it has changed the times that I carry it. When you turn it down to 1x it will allow you to use it for home defence and up to 4x will allow you to make better hits at over 200yds. The eotech will be sitting on top of my turkey gun by fall. The eotech will run you close to $450 or 475 then add a FTS mag for another $200+ you can put a very good quality 1-4x scope and have a good set-up. JMO

Thanks for the info so far. I kind of wanted to stay with a red dot rather then a scope. I was hoping to be able to use iron sights as backup. Forgot to mention that this ar has removable carry handle. I do have another ar that I can use for long shots with a scope. Just looking for something for closer ranges.

Originally Posted By: larrthis ar has removable carry handle

Well that does make a difference.

Good luck with your project.

Sendit

If you truly want to use it for HD, then Aimpoint is the way to go, in my opinion. You never shut it off and you change the battery once a year (if it needs it or not). One less thing to think about during the worst moment of your life.....

The T1/H1 with a 2 moa dot is small and lightweight but cost more when you factor the mount. The Aimpoint PRO comes with a mount and is less money but is a bit bigger package. I've run both an EOTech and a T1 on multiple platforms and obviously prefer the T1. I think the dot is less cluttered on the AP compared to the EoT reticle.

I also own several Bushnell TRS-25s for rifles that are not my primary HD weapon and have had no issues with them.

YMMV

I have an EOTech and the red dot really messes with me. I have looked through and shot through several Trijicon Reflex's and really like em. The orange is easier to see for me over the red.

For a defensive gun, I wouldn't trust my life to an Eotech. Aimpoint only.

I have hunted coyotes with my Aimpoint T1. I don't really like it. Coyotes are small and they blend in well. A magnified optic gives me a better sight picture.

I use a TA11-JG ACOG for hunting. I could also press it into service as a SHTF gun or home defense. That way, my hunting serves a dual role of training with the weapon I would fight with.

I have an Aimpoint Comp ML3 and an Eotech 512 both on 300 Blackouts. Both are capable for deer or coyote out to 100 yds. I much prefer the Aimpoint Comp ML3 but the Eotech is ok too. My older eyes prefer the dot of the Aimpoint and when the Eotech is turned brighter the dot gets slightly fuzzy for my eye. The best is Aimpoint ML3 or 4 but the Eotech is good also. Like mentioned the Aimpoints have a very long battery life versus a few hundred hours for Eotech. More expensive though. I also have a Vortex Strikefire on one AR and it's inexpensive but does the job so far. You could as well go with a Vortex or a Bushnell red dot to see how you like the red dot scopes. Bushnell gets good reviews and the Strikefire has an improved model just out.

I use a mueller quick shot reflex on my close range ar, with old eyes it has moa of coyote out to around 200yds. Four different dot settings on it, one should work for you.10 different brightness settings and a auto bright.

Check out the Holosun red dot; I have these on my AK and on my "fun" AR. For my more serious ARs I have Aimpoints. The Holosun is a Chinese knock-off of the Aimpoint Micros.

Last edited:
I have a Burris Mtac 1-4x Ill Reticle scope on my flat top AR-15 carbine. I have the Burris one piece mount as well. Really versatile outfit.

If you go EoTech, consider getting a night vision capable one if there is any chance you'll put a NV tube on your AR.. I made that mistake...

"I have a Burris Mtac 1-4x Ill Reticle scope on my flat top AR-15 carbine."

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/burris-mtac-impressions/

What he said... Burris makes great budget glass, close to medium work and the reticle stands out in brush black or illuminated.

left_side_quartered.jpg

Leupold reticles for their 1-4x below:

reticles.gif

Leupold 1-4X .... same $$$ zone and better fire dot.

Last edited:
In that price range, I strongly recommend the Leupold VXR. I have no idea why people spend more money on a holosight/red dot + magnifier, to be heavier and more cumbersome than a VXR.

I tell you what I did. I put a 1.25x4 Leupold VXR with the firedot 4 set up on and then put a set of iron's that sett off to the right at a 45 degree angle. I use them for 50 and in work and the scope for 50 and out. The scope has a 30mm tube, so it has a great field of view and is bright. The firedot is fast.

I have EO Tech's also, but I truly believe that the VXR is just has fast and has as good of sight picture as them. I am also annoyed by the fuzzy cluttered reticle you can get with the EO Tech. Good sights, just not for everything....

I use the rifle for 3 gun mostly, but have taken a yote or two with it... You wouldn't be disappointed.

Back