AR scope mount

Right now I have a Vortex cantilever 2" in 30mm, a Leup Mark 2 IMS, a swfa ssalt, and a Nikon m223. I need to pick up another for a zeiss conquest I'll be mounting in the future. Just looking at the cantilever mount it seems like it's maybe too far forward for this scope.

I like the Leup MK 2 the best looks wise, it isn't real heavy duty but do I need it to be for a 260 or 243 AR? Either will be flat top receivers.

Any other suggestions, for a reasonable priced mount?

Last edited:
"Too far forward" depends on your perspective...The rear of the optic should be even with the charging handle normally...(as in photo below)

Any difference will be predicated by your personal taste and physical make up for the best cheek weld and shooting style...All of my optics on ARs are set with this standard, unless the rifle is primarily used for bench type shooting where my head is in a more upright position as in the one below on my .204 AR which is primarily used from a shooting bench...

The one anomaly involves using a Holo sight, such as an EO-Tech as in the one below where I like it as far forward as I can get it on the upper without it extending over the handguard...

71e2jEDyG-L._SL1500_.jpg

This Larue?

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-m4-scope-mount-qd-lt-104

It looks like all of them are QD. I will probably me moving the scope from one upper to the other some, but don't mind having to use tools. Would these Larue QD's give me a more repeatable return to zero than a cheaper non QD mount?

Edit: I see you can get that one in non QD for $50 less also. If I don't mind using the tools to switch (it won't be daily or anything), do I need to QD if I buy this mount?

Last edited:
I like the Larue LT158 because it sits slightly lower (1.44" centerline above the rail) than the LT104 (1.5" centerline above the rail) and gives you 10 MOA of elevation if you ever need it. Perfect for a .260 or .243 if you plan on shotting it long distances.

If you're looking for a non QD lightweight scope mount, Aero Precision has a hot new mount that weighs in at 3 oz. It's much more affordable, made in the USA, and looks very "clean" installed. Their mounts put the centerline of your scope at 1.5" above the rail.

RRA makes some quality mounts with a good price point. I have a RRA, Larue and one other but can't remember what brand off the top of my head but it's similar to the other 2 and they all work great.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerNothing wrong with the Armalite one piece ( I have 2) or the Burris PEPR. I just got the SSALT and so like it fine.

Does the SSALT look to be a knock off of the PEPR?

Originally Posted By: greenhornet-1Originally Posted By: YellowhammerNothing wrong with the Armalite one piece ( I have 2) or the Burris PEPR. I just got the SSALT and so like it fine.

Does the SSALT look to be a knock off of the PEPR?

I wouldn't say knock off. Looking at them both side by side, it looks like they're from the same Chinese manufacturer. Only difference is that the SSALT comes with inserts to adapt 30mm to 1", whereas you would have to buy two separate PEPR mounts.
The mount from Aero precision does look like an excellent value. Buy a Larue or American Defense mount if you want QD and excellent build quality.

Last edited:
i have several burris pepr mounts and now have a couple aero precision mounts the aeros are nicer and way lighter I will buy more aeros for my future builds

I am running the Leupold MK2 and dont have any problems. I also use the Leupold Super high MK4 rings and go straight to the upper. They work wonderfully and you won't be disappointed either way.

Back